Thursday, May 8, 2008

Thursday Thoughts!

It's already Thursday? I will have to admit that my remarkable knee has become a remarkably sore knee. My wife tells me she is not surprised in the least and that if in fact I get an infection or something even worse it will be no one's fault but my own. I can only surmise that her compassion gift was being restrained when she said all of that or it was busy doing something else. The doctor told me to do whatever I felt capable of doing within reason. That within reason clause is the one my wife believes I either fail to grasp or have totally disregarded. I go back to see the surgeon in the morning and we will find out exactly what's going on. All and all I'm still very pleased because I am very confident the soreness is related to the surgical procedure and not the previous problems I was having.

I was wide awake at 1:15 a.m. this morning and could not go back to sleep. This doesn't happen to me very often but in this case I just laid there in the bed thinking about many different things. Lately I've been remembering stuff from back when I was just a boy growing up in rural Louisiana. On the other side of my grandparent's house there was a ridge of built up soil with grass on it. I used to recline back on that ridge and look up into the stars and wonder about all kinds of things. I could lay on that ridge for a good long while until Lobo, my brother's jet black dog, discovered me and came and started licking on me. Maybe that's what I was doing so early this morning, still dreaming about a multitude of thoughts, ideas, and journeys. They say you can't go home but I do it all the time in my mind's eye as I consider how blessed I have been in my life.

I've talked to people who say if they even dream they are not aware of it. That has to be one of the saddest of afflictions because I've always been a dreamer. I've even written some stories about a young boy who listens to his nightly Bible story read by his mom or dad and then drifts into dreaming himself into that very story. How did I come up with that idea? That, my friend, is the story of my life. These stories retell the Bible account with the young man joining in with some other children in becoming a participant or eyewitness. How could you go wrong? They present truth but also allow the child to interact with the story. One of these days I am going to publish these stories because they reflect a child's connection into things that intrigue and fascinate. I've pursued them a little with some publishers but if you've ever been involved in that process you must become well acquainted with the word REJECTION. Fortunately, there's literally thousands of authors who have become well read but spent years being rejected before landing their first deal. I tried one of my stories out on my grandson and he said it was the best he had ever heard. I'll take that and because he's a dreamer, I was and continue to be a dreamer, most children are dreamers, therefore, someday I'll dream this series of books into reality. Stay tuned for that!

Okay, enough rambling around for a Thursday morning. You will be facing your own set of issues today. That's how life works. However, if you are a child of God then you are never alone. Here's the chorus from a country gospel song written by W. F. Crumley that encourages us as we make our way through life: Somebody loves me, answers my prayers, I love Somebody, I know He cares; Somebody tells me not to repine, That Somebody is Jesus, and I know He’s mine. That word 'repine' means not to be discontented or low in spirits. That's a good thought for all of us as we continue this experiment called life! Have a great one and may God bless. Amen. ......More later.

No comments: