Friday, May 2, 2008

PGFWABF!!!!

As I sit here at my desk at work at 4:30 a.m. and know that while I am a little sore from the surgery itself, the pain I felt before is quite different, better! Therefore, the PGFWABF in the title expresses my heart, Praise God From Whom All Blessings Flow! I have much more on my surgery experience to share with you but I'll wait until next week to tell you all about it. Today, we say farewell to our dear brother in Christ, Gary, who became absent from the body and present with the Lord yesterday morning. I was able to run by there the other evening and his sweet wife Pat had gone home to eat and change clothes. It was just me and Bro. Gary. He didn't know I was there but it was obvious that his promotion day was coming soon. Because we believe and our faith connected into the Holy Spirit who confirms truth to us, we can with confidence say, so long for now, see you on the other side. This man was one of my great encouragers and I will dearly miss him. His wife of more than 50 years is also one who carries the gift of encouragement. I ask each one to say a prayer for her, her two boys and their families, Gary's brothers and sisters, and his mom who at 86 is very frail. What a life and what a testimony of making a difference and going to meet His Savior with grace and dignity. May God bless his memory and help those who are grieving this loss.

In thinking about being thankful and hearing my wife tell everyone at the surgery center how they have no idea how stubborn and determined I am, I rise up to thank God for all that He has arranged to make me who I am today. That includes the very wonderful and loving mother I have who will celebrate her 84th birthday tomorrow. Whatever fortitude and grit I have pales in comparison to this remarkable woman who has stared more heartaches, grief, and challenge in the face than most folks will ever know or experience. Our youngest son has told me several times how that being a parent and dealing with life has caused him to appreciate the strength and character God has shown through his Granny, my mom.

Today her hands are a little shaky but they know the meaning of hard work done on behalf of others. I well remember her coming in from work each day only to begin a second job in cleaning, cooking, and taking care of the six of us. She didn't believe in just getting by when it came to our food, our clothes, and making sure we were cared for. She was a floor scrubber because she was thankful for our home and wanted it to be the best that it could be. We could have gotten by without our shirts and jeans being ironed but she wouldn't have it. We could hold our heads up because my mom always saw to it that while didn't have much, we were always able to put our best foot forward.

Today her pumping heart is weak but her mother's heart beats stronger than ever. She was so much wishing she could have been here with me for my surgery. She still spends many hours each day thinking about and praying for her children and their children and their children. That mom's heart comes from God and she reflects what He intended when He set forth the model of how a mom can make a difference in the lives of her children. I'll never forget back in the late 1980's I had a leading role in a huge Church musical and my mom and dad came to watch the program. Many people commented about her coming to see me. I told them that's what moms do, they never tire of being thankful for and proud of their children.

Today I can say PGFWABF with regards to the women God has placed in my life. I know I am getting old and in many ways I can't see things like others do. But I can't help but wonder if we have lost something in this model from God for what a mom should be and can be with His help. To hear her tell it she only remembers much of when she thinks she may have let us down or not done exactly the best for us. Let me set the record straight. My mom is a gift and I could not be more thankful to God for her and more humbled by all that she has done and continues to do for me. Thank you mom. May you have the most wonderful birthday ever and may God continue to bless you. Amen. .....More later.

No comments: