Friday, May 30, 2008

Can't Make an Omelet Without Breaking Eggs!

Fractured Friday. Reporting late, but with good reason. I arrived here at the office shortly before 5 a.m. Beautiful starlit morning but one BIG problem, no electricity. This is the second time this week this has happened to me. Last Tuesday we had one of those freaky thunder bumpers that somehow took down two utility poles in our subdivision. I was home before 7 p.m., but the power was off until nearly 9 p.m.

This morning I did my best to carry on without the conveniences we all take for granted. I scratched some of this blog on paper by candlelight. No wonder so many people in those old photographs had those frowns on their faces. That had happened to them over a long period of time as they squinted, trying to see what they were writing. Needless to say, we do take our modern day support tools much too seriously, don't we? Even the quietness of the morning was somewhat eerie.

At 5:30 a.m. I went and sat out on the front porch of the office building. We are located out in the country so the sounds I began to hear brought back many childhood memories. I heard one rooster fairly close crowing his wake up call, then I heard another one answering a little further away. Finally, a third one in the far distance was doing his best to make it a trio. A heard a train sounding its horn far, far away. Birds were getting their voices tuned up for the day. Frogs were doing what frogs do. Some crickets decided they wanted to chime in and make a little noise of their own. Now dogs, they just bark to hear themselves bark, and there were plenty of them far and near to keep the echoes going.

We do live in a fast paced world. To tell the truth, I typically would not have paid attention to all those wonderful sounds I heard on the porch this morning. That's a shame in one sense but understandable in that we all are in such a big hurry, all the time! One fellow did call in so I suppose the little backup system on the phones still has some power. He said he had talked with the power company and there are at least 5,000 folks waking up in the dark dark. He said they didn't describe the problem and they didn't give an estimate as to when service would be restored. Nice!

One thing is sure. It is very quiet inside this office. I think I heard someone crank up one of those gasoline powered portable generators maybe a half mile down the way. Lucky! Maybe they couldn't take the quiet any longer or needed to check on an important EMAIL. Okay, confession time. The number one problem for me thus far in trying to cope with these great deprivations: NO COFFEE!!!! I always make a quarter pot of very strong coffee when I first arrive but not today. Hey, the diabetic police have taken away most of the stuff I love, therefore, please allow me this one indulgence!

The Bible speaks through the Psalmist in the 49th Division, Verse 9: "Be still and know that I am God." Therefore, I should have been using my time to reflect on God and His great Goodness to me and in counting the blessings I am missing this morning, like the lights, the a/c, the computer, the internet, and the COFFEE MAKER!!!!! Sorry, that just slipped out. Have a great week ending Saturday and try to start your brand new week on Sunday by gathering at the meeting place with God's people. Until next time, may God bless you and yours! (Power back on at 6:15 a.m., coffee is being consumed as we speak, and life is good again!) Amen. ....More later.

No comments: