Friday, February 7, 2020

"When I was about 3, my grandfather used to give me and my sister a nickel to sit out on the front porch with him and sing songs." ~ Tommy Shaw

Well hello there. Why not come on up on the porch and sit for a spell? We will while away some time just enjoying our visit together. That's how we used to do networking, back in the day. It's Friday, February 7, 2020, and in many ways I do miss sitting out on the porch and visiting with folks. I have noticed a trend. Folks don't talk much to each other anymore. Even folks they know well. They prefer to send a text and wait for a response. That way they make a connection but don't have to be bothered with a conversation. A conversation would take some of our 'valuable' time. I hear things like this. Did they get back to you? Not yet. Why not just call them and talk to them? They will send me a message when they have time. Wow! We've come a long way, baby, don't you think? I wrote about seeing the teenagers at our local fellowship a few years ago. They were all sitting at the same table. They were not talking. They were texting each other. Sitting at the same table. I suppose we could start a list of what we lose when this is how we communicate with each other. I know some now reserve their actual talking to those deemed to be their closest. Everyone else gets a text. Or, some folks call hoping to get an answering machine. I probably fit into some of this myself, but, I do recognize some of the dangers when we substitute electronic messaging for felt conversations. That's why I invite you each day to sit on my electronic front porch and shoot the breeze for a few minutes. And, while we are doing that, I'm sure you will not mind me sipping on my cup of hot strong Community coffee.

President George Washington on his deathbed.
Here is an excerpt from my blog back on February 7, 2008: His Way or My Way William Shakespeare wrote this from Richard II, "The tongues of dying men enforce attention like deep harmony." We are interested in what people have to say as their final words before they leave this life for the next. Our second president, John Adams lived into his nineties and actually lived to see his son, John Quincy become our 6th president. He and Thomas Jefferson, who followed him and became our 3rd president, kept up a lengthy 25-year correspondence regarding issues, arguments, and the future of the republic. President Adams dedicated himself to be alive at the 50th anniversary of the Declaration of Independence, and this he did, dying in the evening on July 4th, 1826. On that special morning, he awoke and was asked by his attendant if he knew what day it was. Adams responded, "Oh yes, it is the glorious fourth of July. God bless it. God bless you all." He then lapsed into unconsciousness but later that afternoon he aroused and mumbled these final words, "Thomas Jefferson still survives......" Little did he know that Jefferson had died earlier that morning of the same day! Phineas Taylor Barnum (P.T.) was famous because of his building of the circus business which ended up being called the "Greatest Show On Earth". He toured the world and entertained millions for nearly fifty years. His final words before his death in 1891, "How were the circus receipts in Madison Square Gardens?" I would suppose he well represents a man whose heart was in his passion in life that being the circus. George Washingon who rightfully can be called our founding father, lay dying for many hours as doctors attempted to help him. While there are many legends about his actions and words, the following is the best that can be documented from eyewitness accounts. "Doctor, I die hard, but I am not afraid to go. My breath cannot last long." A short time later, he expressed concern that he not be buried alive, "I am just going. Have me decently buried, and do not let my body be put into the vault in less than three days after I am dead. Do you understand?" "Yes, sir," the doctor replied. "'Tis well," answered Washington.

Some who have read my stuff over the years might pick up a little overtone regarding death. Perhaps it is because I have been in so many ways surrounded by death from my earliest recollection. And, yes, I am aware of how the statistics pretty much indicate there is a one for one ratio of births to deaths. (The only unknown in this projection is The Rapture which will allow true believers who are alive and remain at the return of Jesus the Christ to escape physical death since they will be caught to meet Him in the air. 1st Thessalonians Chapter 4) I still remember the encouraging word sent to our family from a local fellow in the little town where we lived, on the occasion of another family tragedy. It went something like this, "If you folks don't straighten up all of you are going to die." At the time he said that he was a part of a little Church that held some really strange views. I'm pretty sure he's not a part of any Church today. This is a reminder that our words do carry an impact and we need to use them carefully. No. I'm not in a gloomy mood today, just pouring it out as it comes forth. Just so you know, I too have always had a fear of being buried alive. I do have some amount of claustrophobia. Fortunately, in our times, being embalmed or cremated typically takes care of that problem. One would think. On that positive note, I wish everyone a wonderful Saturday and Lord's Day Sunday. Who knows what might be lurking in the shadows in my memory bank vault with so many unopened doors? We will have to wait and see what might come forth for our next time together? Don't ask me. Because at this time I don't have a clue. Yet. Enjoy. May God bless. Amen. ....More later.

No comments: