Friday, February 21, 2020

Happy Birthday to our Brittany!

It seems like only four days ago I was talking about getting on with our new week. Where did the time go? It is Friday, February 21, 2019. Today we pause to recognize and celebrate the 29th birthday of our granddaughter, Brittany. Brittany and her husband Ryan are the proud parents of three children, 2 boys and a girl. They have recently returned to our area after doing a stint with the U.S. Army in Fort Riley, Kansas. They are currently in the process of getting settled into their new apartment. We pray God's best for them and wish our Brittany a wonderful birthday on this, her special day. Our love, MiMi and Poppy.

Twelve years ago I wrote a piece that, to me, appears to be relevant on this Friday, last Friday, the next Friday, and all Fridays we are allowed to experience. Here it is: Thank God He's With Us On Friday "I'm still somewhat hobbling around on my busted knee from falling off the platform in my Bible study class last Sunday. Our little Lexie is having ear surgery this morning. Our beautician daughter-in-law has been down with the flu this past week along with our little Alex and one of our twins, Amanda. Last night my mom informed me that the doctor had advised doing a heart procedure to deal with a potential blockage and she and dad wanted to know what I thought about doing this at her age. I continue to work each day on my diabetic situation but some days it can be a real challenge. Sound familiar? It should because these are threads that make up the fabric of our living here in this fallen world. However, we need not be discouraged or defeated because as the southern gospel song says, "I read the back of the book, and we win!" That is so true. I'm not one of those that believe the world is defined by a mentality where the glass is either half full or half empty. That psycho-babble stuff doesn't really change the realities of life because there are times when the glass doesn't even exist much less having anything in it. Yet, we can live with a heart full and overflowing. This is one that sees and lives beyond the moment by moment report card that comes our way with each conversation, phone call, or doctor's visit. We are eternal beings and we belong to the God who created this world and because we have believed in His provision of salvation, His Son, one day we will live with Him forever and ever, Amen."

This many years later, believe it or not, I could most likely improve the writing in that paragraph, but, I think it makes the point. That's always the most important thing to me. I've mentioned several times before about in my past life I had a secretary who had previously taught English and just before coming to my group she had been a proofreader of corporate communications. I thought what better way to upgrade the quality of our communications than to have an expert at the ready. Let me give it to you straight. We had a collision of sorts. My style, my slang, my colloquialisms, they drove her up the wall. Literally. I did my best to take her recommendations, for her sake, not because I thought her changes helped make the message more clear. However, there were times when I had to overrule my living grammarian because I thought the way I had written it was best. Period. You would not be surprised to know that I often see things in my previous blogs that could have been better communicated. And, there are days when I send out something with glaring mistakes. Left out words, wrong tense, you name it. And, I don't have any problem with those being pointed out to me. By way of explanation, I do these daily blogs, mostly, on the fly, and there are times when I am not afforded the opportunity to do a lot of scrubbing. I feel pretty good that most of the time I do get the message across. That, to me, is what I set out to do. For those who don't remember, the proofreader was only with me for a couple of years before she moved on. I didn't then and still don't blame her one iota. With that, I will wish everyone a great Saturday and will commend us all to showing up with other believers to acknowledge and worship our Great God on Lord's Day Sunday. Take care now, you hear? And, may God bless. Amen. ....More later.

No comments: