Monday, June 21, 2010

Sweet memories bring sweet tears.

It's Monday, a big first day of summer, June 21, 2010. How deeeeee! I'm just so proud to be here. No, it's not Minne Pearl, only me again, and the clicking and clacking of my keyboard reminds me of those long freight trains that used to rumble through the night in the little rural Louisiana town where I was raised. We needed those trains to help distract us from the summer heat and while I did my best to doze off quickly, I was always anxious that the train was going to end before I got to sleep and because of being anxious I couldn't get to sleep, and just thinking about it makes me wonder if there's someone I could go to and complain about it, and maybe they might just set up a 20 billion dollar escrow account as a down payment on how messed up I am as a result of those shorter trains. Just wait a minute. Enough of that because if you've read my blogs I fully realize you would not be buying the short train excuse for all the noisy and rattling stuff that comes out of my clicking and clacking. What a wonderful Father's Day for me! Being able to be with family, children, and our grand children and the one grandchild who has a spouse, (it was his first Father's Day), along with their/our little great grand bundle of Madelyn Joy. She was a little show all to herself and everyone enjoyed watching her do her thing. Rodney and his bunch were not able to be with us due to a scheduling conflict. But for me, Father's Day is about family, and that's what really made this a special day for me. Thanks to my dear wife for cooking the gigantic meal, which took hours and hours to prepare, (must have been pretty good since there was nary a leftover to be found), and for making this all happen. In the coming days I will treasure this time together as another sweet memory.

Speaking of memories, last week I mentioned my Uncle Asa's move from this life to be gathered to his people. (See Genesis 25:8 for the first usage of this great and insightful metaphor for the death of a believer.) I'm sure there was quite a reunion just up in the glory land upon his arrival there. I was 14 going on 15 in the summer of 1961 and that was my first summer to travel by a Continental Trailways bus from Louisiana to Florida to work for my Uncle Asa in his business. He owned a used auto parts business and I was a general helper. The photo is of Uncle Asa and his son Milton. The business is now in the hands of a grandson and it's still going strong. I along with another fellow mostly spent our time pulling parts off of the wrecked cars out on the property. It was grueling work from early to late each day and much of it was out in the hot sun. I remember coming in to the shop for lunch after having laid under those cars all morning and the guys there would compete in telling stories about these huge rattlesnakes that were native to that area. They usually could pour it on really good about the size of these snakes, how they like to hide under the sand, and what typically happens to the person bitten. This was all in fun but we didn't really look forward to getting back under those cars again. I did this 'can to can't' work for two summers. Uncle Asa and Aunt Mattie Lee were exceptionally good to me. I worked hard. Uncle Asa expected me to. But I learned so much about so many things that I look back and count it as one of the experiences that helped shape my outlook on life, especially as it relates to my work ethic, my determination, and my commitment. That experience cemented a bond between us that was always special even though we only saw each other a handful of times over the years. I know that God was involved in using this experience to prepare me for the life He had for me. Thanks Uncle and Aunt, I appreciate all you did!

As for Uncle Asa being a part of the greatest generation, let me share but a few lines that came directly from his obituary: "Asa came to the Orange City Florida community in 1952. He opened McMillon Fish Camp at Holly Bluff, worked for Volusia Ford Tractor and opened M&K Used Auto Parts, Inc. with his son in 1956. It is still in operation today, 54 years later, and still in the family. He had a summer home in Spruce Pine, NC. Asa remained active in all the communities and organizations he ever was involved with. His gift of helping others is reflected in the numerous associations he held memberships in: Stetson Baptist Church in DeLand; Assoc. member, Forest Community Church, Salt Springs, FL; Past Exalted Ruler and life member of the DeLand Elks Lodge #1463, DeLand, FL; Past Post Commander and life member of the Veterans of Foreign Wars Post #2380, Astor, FL; elected All State Post Commander and Veteran of the Year, State of Florida 1979-1980; charter member of the Florida Sheriff's Boys Ranch and Girls Villa, Live Oak, FL since 1957; charter member of the Astor Community Assoc, Inc., Astor, FL; Honorary Citizen Boys Ranch, Boys Town, NE; Vernon Parish Civilian Conversation Corps Alumni, Leesville, LA; life member of the CCC Alumni (NACCA), St. Louis, MO; Veteran of World War II South Pacific 1944-1946; life member of the American Legion Post #0400, FL Dept"

Everyone in my circle who have read Uncle Asa's obituary has pretty much had the same response: Wow! To most of us we then have this question: What in the world will I leave behind as a testimony when I am gathered to my people? Uncle Asa, I say, not bad for a country boy and it makes me know that I have some catching up to do, especially as it relates to touching others with the blessings that God has entrusted into my care. Have a great work week and may God help us to enjoy the life He has given to us even as we take seriously our responsibilities. Amen. ......More later.

No comments: