Wednesday, June 9, 2010

Broadcasting almost live and almost in person for your listening pleasure!

Hello friends and neighbors out there in radio land, I'm so glad you tuned in today, Wednesday, June 9, 2010, for another episode of this long running series, a continuing saga that will soon reach its 64th year of broadcasting. Do you ever feel like that about your life? In many ways it does reflect the human condition and the suffering man Job from the Bible said it like this: "Man born of woman is of few days and full of trouble." (See Job 14:1) If we have learned anything folks, one thing is clear, we all share in this collective malady called the human condition. The great news is how that God reached down and made a way for us to walk with Him through the good times and the bad as we make our way homeward. Some people wrongly accuse me of being a Bible scholar. This is probably because I've studied a little more than they have, but I've been around long enough to know that I've not even scratched a little of the surface of what is essentially an unfathomably deep ocean of truth. Even as people of faith we find ourselves often dealing with the why questions. I'm just as prone to have that inquiring minds want to know attitude as the next person, but if I have learned anything in the unfolding series called my life, it is that God Himself is the only answer that makes any sense, and coming to this conclusion can only be the fruit, result, or outcome of a childlike faith. That's right folks. Not very scholarly perhaps, but we who know God are called on to share what He has allowed us to learn with others. One fellow explained it by saying that telling people about Jesus is nothing more than one beggar telling another beggar where he was able to find Bread!

Just how in the world are you doing anyway? There's now over 7 billion of us breathing air on the planet. We've added nearly 3 billion in the last forty years! That's what I call meeting the verse that says to go forth and multiply. Many billions are just waking up, others are winding down, some are fast asleep. Each one unique. Each with issues. Every day is a challenge for us all. Some face hunger and deprivation. Others must deal with disease and death but all share in that family union called the human condition. When the Apostle John was given a vision of the heavenly activity, one scene has always stood out to me. In The Revelation of Jesus Christ, Chapter 5:9-10, speaking of our Savior, he reported this: "And they sang a new song saying, "Worthy are you to take the scrolls and open the seals, for you were slain, and purchased for God with your blood men of every tribe and tongue and people and nation. You have made them to be a kingdom and priests to our God, and they shall reign on the earth." What a scene! What an amazing testimony to the range and reach of the Gospel message that every person needs to hear, for when they hear and respond in faith, they, regardless of their color, their social status, their health, wealth, or prospects in this life, they become a child of the living God, they become our brother or sister in Christ, and one day we will all be together to sing praises to the Lamb! Hallelujah! Praise God for His glorious provision! Amen? Yes! Amen!

One of the things I've been prone to emphasize of late in my teaching ministry has been the simplicity of God's plan for each person. I must admit that I have often been inclined to immerse myself in the study of great theological concepts and the writings of many wonderful Godly scholars. However, of late I have been more and more reminded how that it is what truth does in us and how it works itself out of us that matters more than anything else. Knowing systematic theological precepts can be good but knowledge without love is pretty much worthless when it comes to making a difference as God wants us to. Who does it matter to? How about all those folks that John saw, of every tribe, tongue, people and nation? I love what an old preacher friend of mine once said, "Always remember that we all are fellow strugglers." And, that we are! So tune in tomorrow where you will most likely hear your host sharing this tune, "One day at a time sweet Jesus, That's all I'm asking from you. Just give me the strength To do every day what I have to do. Yesterday's gone sweet Jesus And tomorrow may never be mine. Lord help me today, show me the way, One day at a time." I do pray that your 'one day' today will be that which demonstrates God's love in some way. Amen. .......More later.

No comments: