Monday, June 14, 2010

Have you seen my missing blog anywhere?

I had a really good blog in mind for today but a very not so funny thing happened before I could get it from the fetching place to the electronic page. I must have either hit the invisible delete key or the escape key because whatever was there no longer exists, therefore, you will have to settle for what I can summon up on the fly. Oh, you thought that's how I did it everyday, did you? Given the bad rap that Monday gets, perhaps it is only fitting that I should start the work week off with this type of dilemma. But, here we are folks, it is Monday, June 14, 2010 and we wake up to a messed up Gulf Coast, a messed up clean up of the Gulf Coast, and in general, a very messed up world. Not very encouraging I know but when you think about it, it does point out how really insufficient we are in terms of being able to control or even fix things. We can put a man on the moon. We can plan and execute a lavish party each Wednesday evening at the White House. But we don't have a clue how to stop up a hole that we ourselves drilled even though we have a gadzillion government and outside engineers all holding hands in a big circle singing Kumbaya. Meanwhile, the only one gaining any ground is Dawn washing detergent since it is featured in the bird washing TV series now playing 24 hours a day. To me, it just goes to show you that we are not as brilliant as we portray ourselves to be, and a huge dose of humility just like when we had to take Castor oil back in the day would do our entire nation a whole bunch of good. (Man, I wish I could find that other blog because this one is not what I had in mind but sometimes you have to improvise and go with the flow! No pun intended.)

My sister up in the Dallas area has recently rejoined the electronic connectivity world via Facebook, email, and all the rest offered out on that wonderful information highway known as the internet. She tells me her technical assistant who has set up her computer and fixed any of the problems that have come up is none other than her nine year old grandson. Why was I not surprised when she told me this? Because I've observed our grandchildren including our little ones as they have grabbed hold of everything from smart phones to lap tops without looking back. Sure, most people think I have some insight into technological matters, but, in reality, my knowledge is perhaps broad but very shallow and very dated. As the kids might say, what I know is so 'yesterday'. Folks our age are left to ponder how much more of these so-called make your life easier conveniences can we stand. We have this wonderful TV mounted on the wall with a surround sound system. We also have three remotes we use to coax it to move from one channel to the next or to raise or lower the sound. Whatever happened to that 'clapper' deal? Did they ever come out with one for the TV? "But dad, why haven't you programmed your phone to take advantage of the many features you have?" Let me tell you something. If I add any more features that help me save time and effort I will be up 24 hours a day trying to keep up with them! Old people, you've got to love them!

I would submit that this messed up problem we have can be traced all the way back to that incident in The Garden. That's right. Adam may have thought it to be the first instance of a 'he said, she said' argument, but the result was to bring forth a curse that continues to this very day. However, messed up as we are, it is not a hopeless situation. God for His own reasons saw fit to reach down and make a provision for Adam and Eve and He has one for you and I today. That provision is none other than the blood atonement made for us by our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ. Coming to Him and Him alone is the only way we can have hope while living in this messed up world. Knowing Him gives us a set of lenses through which to view all that happens in and around us. This set of lenses is based on truth and we are able to see the reality of hope, faith, and love that comes from God even as we deal with all the stuff that clutters each day. I may never master the ability to program my TV and if I continue to try garage doors would most likely begin to open and close all over the neighborhood. I may never come up with the answers that will fix so many of the problems that plague our world. But, I can, with confidence, tell folks where to go to get some lasting relief. How long will it last? How about for eternity? And, as they say back home, that is a long long time. Amen. I wonder if they have ever thought about some kind of missing blog alert system? Just a thought. Take care and may God bless. .....More later.

No comments: