Tuesday, June 8, 2010

Skeeters are a humming on the honey suckle vine!

It is Tuesday, June 8, 2010 and I am here to tell you that we are already having some very hot and humid weather. I read where one fellow said the humidity was so bad he believed it was causing his car to shrink. I do know this, our little electrical meter mounted on the side of the house is putting out some long playing tunes that are much too early in the season. But weather is such a wonderful topic of discussion because it is always changing, giving us something new to talk about. Have you heard how that if this global warming continues that in another twenty years the only place you will be able to see a polar bear is in a zoo. Hello? That's the only place I've ever been able to see a polar bear! I will admit that I'm not that well versed on environmental and meteorological matters but I don't think I'm quite as bad off as one lady who called a radio station to complain. She told the call screener she didn't understand why they had to schedule the eclipse for 1:30 a.m., and wondered if the people in charge knew anything about children needing their sleep before school the next day. I've had some trouble lately doing a really great job on maintaining my glucose targets. It is 100% self inflicted, diet related, and I make a pledge to do something about it at least three or four times a week. I did have to throw in the towel one day last week when I came in the back door and my wife had prepared fork tender smothered steak with gravy, mustard greens, and some piping hot cornbread. I threw caution to the wind and had myself two big helpings. That kind of food took me way back but it's also how I got to where I am today. Man, why is it that the only food that people say is totally okay is that rice cake stuff that tastes like Styrofoam?

This recent internet outage began last Friday afternoon. I used to deal with outages for a living but believe me when I tell you they have made the wait times and the process so cumbersome and laborious that most people abandon and give up. NOT ME! Twenty minute hold time? No problem. Thirty minute hold time? That's okay, it gives me time to work up to exactly what I have to say when they finally do let me in. I never lost my cool, not even once, but there was not even a hint of a doubt about how I felt about their service and their poor response. When it was all said and done someone had messed with some circuits in an interface box somewhere up the line and we just happened to be a part of one of those circuits. Level one becomes your way station as you make your way to level two. From level two you progress to level three and then if you are extremely persistent you get to talk to the person at the escalation desk. She and I had a very frank talk about things. It was one of those conversations my granddad would have said, "It was how the cow ate the cabbage." It was not the project I had wanted to work on but we as a small company actually operate our business using the internet to communicate forth and back with our customers. The dude who showed up told me I sounded too much like a phone guy to him but in the end, he located the problem, reset the circuits, and we are all merrily back on our way to see the wizard following that great yellow brick road located out there somewhere on the information highway.

Don't worry about me getting carried away. That happened a long time ago and at this late date I'm not sure much can be done about it. I am often told that I shouldn't take it all so seriously, but I do. When one of our customers needs our help and I'm the conduit for getting it done I sweat it all until we've met that expectation. I'm not sure you can care too much but I've tried not to be so engaged but that's just not how I am put together. I thought when I left that so called concrete jungle where the networks and computers churned away on a 24 hour basis that I could take it a little easier and relax more. But when the heat is on I find myself right smack in the middle of it all. Fretting over this that and the other and at times being way too stressed, I am right back where I started. But, I have learned that is who I am. You may not be that way. That's okay but when they tell me that it can't be done and they tell me there's nothing that can be done about it, hold on brother because we will see about that! Being on top of things and involved in so much going on all around you does make the day whiz by. I leave thinking at least I have been out on the playing field and how blessed I am to still be able to carry the ball every now and then. Okay. Enough of this discombobulated mess for one day. Have a great day and may all your internet packets get to where they should when they should making this little dialogue possible. May God bless. Amen. .....More later.

No comments: