Tuesday, August 17, 2021

"I know how I made it, I made it by Grace .... God's Amazing Grace!" ~ Amen.


Good morning and welcome. It is Tuesday, August 17, 2021. Today, speaking on behalf of me, myself, and I, represented on this three score, ten, plus five years, plus one day, (not including the nearly 9 months I spent in my mother's womb), I announce how truly blessed I have been the past several days where my family and friends helped me celebrate my 75th year of sojourn here on the planet. Last Saturday, our eldest son and his wife hosted a barbecue cookout for some 24 of us to observe this milestone. My wife outdid herself in the planning, preparation, and execution to make this day special for me. The food was excellent. The fellowship even more so. We were joined by the wife's sister and her husband, her son and his wife from Fort Worth, our three boys, their kids, (our grandchildren), and five of our great grands. As you know by now, I love to see my life through many of the songs we sing. There is a Southern Gospel tune that sums up my estimation very well: "I know how I made it, I made it by Grace .... God's Amazing Grace!" Amen


Brother in law, Jim, and yours truly.

In addition to all the FB greetings, cards, texts, calls, and gifts, yesterday, the Birthday program continued since it was the actual date of my birth. I started the day by taking our middle son Jimmy to the mental health facility for his treatment. I sat out in the parking lot for 2-1/2 hours. I observed a lot. One thing stuck in my mind. An older lady drove up and parked near to me. She got out of the car and spoke to the passenger in a way that I thought must be a small child. It wasn't. It was her husband who couldn't have been much older than me. She took him by the hand and led him into the facility. Tears filled my eyes. Sure, but for the grace of God, that could be me, but more than that I felt a need to pray for that couple and for the dozens of other folks showing up for therapy sessions or treatments. What a way to humble someone on their birthday. The wife stepped up again and prepared a birthday supper feast. Since her sister's husband also had a birthday last week, we celebrated together. Sorry. But the menu was too good not to share. Everything homemade, just saying. We had field peas, fried okra, breaded, fried pork chops, rice and gravy, baked corn on the cobb, potato salad, sliced tomatoes, and melt in your mouth cornbread along with iced tea and some of my sister-in-law's fresh homemade pepper sauce. What a meal! What a blessing! What a way to celebrate our birthdays! Thanks to my wife for her many hours of work. 



Okay. I can't leave without mentioning Mr. Bentley. He participated in the eating as well. Mostly, it was just small pieces of the fried pork chops, but, he enjoyed my birthday too. I posted the photo above on the Shi Tzu Facebook page where Mr. Bentley is very popular. I used this caption: "Blessed to celebrate my 75th year today here on the planet. Blessed to be with the wife of my youth for soon to be 57 years, our three sons and their families, 11 grandchildren and 7 great-grandchildren, AND our MR. BENTLEY!Bentley has a huge following and as of this morning, that posting had 869 likes, 224 comments, and 9 shares. Most of the commenters wished me a happy birthday but also had to say how much they love our pup. Here is a short example: "Happy birthday to you and beautiful Mr. Bentley and all your family. Blessed." Many were very long and went on and on. He is a character and, yes, I am thankful for him being here with us.


Enough gloating, but, hopefully in a thankful manner because I truly believe with all of my heart it is only by the grace of Almighty God! Amen.    Until next time......

No comments: