Wednesday, October 23, 2019

"Impossible is a word to be found only in the dictionary of fools." ~ Napoleon Bonaparte

Welcome to Wednesday, October 23, 2019. I suppose for those of us who are genetically predisposed to be vertically challenged, the ongoing success of Jose Altuve, major league baseball superstar, and, Simone Biles, now the most decorated gymnast in history, well, it is encouraging. The Randy Newman parody song saying that 'short people got no reason to live' does not apply. For the two transcendent athletes mentioned, it is their sheer talent, determination, and commitment that has allowed them to achieve so much. I played baseball and basketball as a teen and I have first-hand knowledge about competing in a lineup where, looking back now, I realize I was typically the shortest if not one of the shortest playing. I do have one little insight into how it worked for me. You will think this to be ridiculous but it is my story and I will tell it the way I understand it. I didn't know I was short. I knew my other teammates were taller, but, I never was told my height was a limitation. Because of that I just went out and did my thing. I can't remember the exact situation much later on when someone asked me about my height and whether it ran in my family. I was taken aback. I wasn't stupid and I did know others were taller, but, I actually had never seen it as a liability. Of course, as I continued in life I did hear the names, Shorty, and 'Lil' put in front of my name. But, with God's help, I did okay in the so-called world of giants. I'll never forget how my team at the big Company gave me a framed picture of a little general leading his much taller men into battle. It was intended to be a compliment. I've said all of that to say this, who knows how far individuals could go if limitations were not placed on them from their earliest time here on the planet? Something to ponder. And, if you are not into pondering, maybe you could just think about it.

Don't get me wrong. I am aware of the statistics. Even in the business world, taller people have a leg up, (no pun intended), on those who are below average height. I've worked with some who used their shortness as a grudge and tool of motivation as they fought hard with ferocity for their seat at the table. They became known for their scorched earth personality and for some, it worked. They achieved rank and privilege, however, many of them left the scene much younger than their expected tenure. That type of existence does take a toll. At the risk of being called naive or a simpleton, I chose to, on most days, to get up and go about the doing of my best in whatever role or job I had. Yep. From the get-go, that was something either instilled in me or perhaps I caught it along the way. I remember once being asked to take on a project that everyone said was doomed. I had to leave a management position to lead this effort. Why did I do it? My boss asked me to do it because he could not risk another failure in completing it. The scuttlebutt and peer gossip said this would finish my career. Since I never thought I had a career, just a job, I weathered those doomsaying predictions, got the project done and gained recognition and approval from the top management of our Company. When I finished, I no longer had a position to go back to. My boss told me not to worry. It was an uneasy time for me, but, within a few weeks, he reorganized the entire department and put several of the managers including the job I had previously held under a new position he gave to me. My point? Who knows how much could get done if everyone got up every day and just went and did their best at whatever they are engaged in?

I'm not finished on this topic yet. Even more important than all of the things I've shared is being aware of and thanking God for His provisions. I recently had someone tell me how that because I worked hard, applied myself, and did my best, I deserved anything I received. I couldn't agree. I told them I knew people throughout my journey who were better educated, and in many ways, better qualified, who worked very hard, but, I ended up with the promotion. I may not have snapped to it each and every time something like that happened, but, I can unequivocally announce that it was God who helped me along the way. And, His care continues to this very day. One of the worst things I could ever do is to take credit for something He deserves thanks and praise for. I don't know precisely what or if today's edition does in terms of shedding light on short people, however, I do know this. The ground is level at the foot of the cross and the pauper, the king, the short, the tall, and everything else as a qualifier, each one finds perfect equality before the Lord. Again, that's my story, and for a long time now I have stuck to it. Have a great rest of the day and may God add His blessings. Amen. .....More later...

No comments: