Monday, October 21, 2019

Colossians 3:12-14 New King James Version (NKJV) "Therefore, as the elect of God, holy and beloved, put on tender mercies, kindness, humility, meekness, longsuffering; bearing with one another, and forgiving one another, if anyone has a complaint against another; even as Christ forgave you, so you also must do. But above all these things put on love, which is the bond of perfection."

Mr. Bentley wanted to say hello to everyone.
Welcome back to our regular visitation here on this Monday, October 21, 2019. The wife and I enjoy helping out with the services at the different memory care facilities. The folks there, mostly elderly, typically reflect different levels of cognition. Some are still fairly alert and they sing along and enjoy the worship. Some perk up when a certain song is sung. Others don't seem to know they are even there. A few walk around and around as if they are trying to find their way. One fellow can't participate except with his feet. When a song speaks to his heart, his feet begin to go full motion up and down. One man, very impaired, has his precious little wife there to help care for him. She is ever so patient. She obviously took her vow seriously. Sometimes, a son or daughter sits with their mom or dad as we conduct our service. When we are done and on our way home, we talk about our time with these folks. We leave with a combination of thankfulness they are being cared for in a respectful manner, but, we can't help but feel a sense of sadness and compassion for the situation they are in. Lastly, we talk about ourselves. At our age, it would be impossible not to recognize how being in a place like that could be in our future as well. We are thankful our life is in God's hands and He will provide, no matter what! Amen.

The photo of Mr. Bentley and I was made by the laptop I use in the wee hours of the morning and it sits next to our breakfast area. Thanks to our eldest Chris for providing this tool for me. It saves Mr. Bentley and I climbing the stairs to my office so early in the morning. Mr. Bently does get restless, all cooped up in the office, and, at times we are in and out which can become a wake-up call for the lady of the house. And, just so you know, that is not always a welcomed development. We also carried the laptop on our recent quest up to Colorado and New Mexico in search of a breath of fresh air. Some folks have very powerful mobile phones and they can use them almost as effectively as I use the laptop. Not my mobile phone. I think its original programming was probably done on parchment. Since I am primarily a desktop personal computer user, (translated: former Underwood Typewriter user.), the laptop essentially does most of the same things. While technology can become almost like an umbilical cord to sustain life, in my use, it's how I transact in many of the necessary areas of life. If I don't have it available which has happened in the past and no doubt could happen in the future, well, I go to plan B, C, D, and sometimes Y. (I threw that last one in from the vowel song.)

I keep reminding myself that I have never been a pet person. People get attached to pets. I have too many other things to be attached to. You would be correct to assume that Mr. Bentley is in the process of changing my opinion on this subject. Last Thursday, Kennah, our eldest son's family dog, passed away. She was a huge black lab of about 90 plus pounds. She was closing in on 15 years. She was perhaps the best family dog anyone could ever imagine having. They got her at a shelter. She has been a mainstay in their home for all these years. See what I mean? I never wanted to get attached to a pet. Period. I used to love to be there and mess around with Kennah because she was such a good dog. She was excellent around children, even infants. I could always leave and not worry about being attached. As my son told me about Kennah's death, I found myself thinking about Mr. Bentley. I didn't sign up for any ole Yeller type of connection when I purchased the wife a pet. Now, look at what has happened. Someone here observed these encouraging sentiments, "Don't worry dad, maybe you will go first." Things turn out really different than what one might have expected, as they say across the pond. Oh well, even at my age, I suppose I can be taught new tricks. Or, a close facsimile. Take care. Enjoy. Be thankful to God. Amen. ....More later.

No comments: