Friday, August 10, 2007

Sometimes You Need A Breath of Fresh Air!

The area we live in can be about as unbearable as any place in the world during the summer months. The combination of extreme heat and high humidity makes for some pretty tough days. My across the driveway neighbor who bought Ruth’s place came to us after spending fifty plus years in and around Buffalo, New York. He always tells me when we are in melt down mode that if I shovelled eight feet of snow one winter like he did for countless winters, I would join him in being thankful for the heat and humidity. I guess that’s one of those deals you would have to experience to understand.

About ten years ago we had a really bad summer and it wouldn’t budge. It hung around going into September where we were still gasping for air. Towards the end of the month I decided I had to have some relief. I got on the internet and did a check of temperatures across the country. I saw where they were already having mid forties in Colorado, therefore, I determined to drive up there and get me a breath of fresh air.

I had my wife arrange to be off but didn’t tell her anything about what we were doing or where we were going. We loaded up the car and headed out. Fourteen hours later we reached our motel in Trinidad, Colorado. The next morning I was up early and made the coffee we had in our room. I then drug one of the chairs outside and sat there drinking coffee and enjoying a breeze in the invigorating, refreshing, forty degree temperature.

I let the wife sleep in but when she woke up I had our day already planned. There’s a Legend’s scenic loop which covers about 100 miles. I let her drive and I stood up in the passenger seat with my head outside the moon roof. Around every curve we found another beautiful scene that could have been on any calendar. She drove and I took in the air. Later that evening we found a wonderful restaurant in downtown Trinidad, enjoyed our meal, and made our way back to our motel.

Next morning I repeated that same routine with my coffee and sat in a misty rain but enjoyed every second of it, but alas we had to bid farewell and head back to where concrete was buckling and the asphalt was melting. We had a wonderful day and one half, spent the night in Amarillo on the way back and then made our way back home. It was all too brief but it was needed because there are some times when you just need a breath of fresh air! More later……………..

No comments: