Wednesday, August 29, 2007

Falling Down!

I injured my ankle playing baseball as a kid, perhaps re-injured it again, and then re-injured it some more. This left me with a serious life long liability because whenever I step on any type of un-level territory I can, but not always, have that ankle turn and give up the ghost. What happens when the ankle gives way is typically I hit the ground. That means exactly what it says. I hit the ground. It has to be funny to watch because over the years those who have seen me fall have had to exercise great restraint and control to keep from bursting out laughing. For me it’s not funny because when the ankle goes it generates a burst of pain so intense that your only response is nausea and at times an inability to catch my breath because of the impact of hitting the ground.

Fortunately, it does not happened often but every few years it does rear its ugly head. I once had it happen while walking with an associate in the downtown metroplex. I stepped onto an uneven chunk of sidewalk and down I went. He kept walking. I’m laying on the ground writhing in pain and trying to breathe and he finally stopped, turned around, and said, “Well, what in the world are you doing?”

It’s not funny but it is funny. Its like whenever someone flips a chair in a conference room and everyone holds their breath until they see they are okay, then they all can individually and collectively give out a hearty laugh for the unplanned America’s funniest video event.

I’ve been blessed because I haven’t fallen in quite some time. That is until week before last. The day after my birthday celebration on August 16th I had come in early and drafted my blog entitled “Counting and Naming My Blessings!” where I talked about my wife, my boys, their wives, and all of my grandchildren and the great night we had together. At 5:45 a.m. as I went out to open up our shop buildings and get everything turned on I was still thinking about all the many blessings God had provided to me.

It was drizzling rain and I didn’t bring my umbrella so I was hurrying from building to building. When I came out of the main shop building there are some stepping stones that provide a sort of walk through to the next group of buildings. It had begun to rain a little harder so I picked up the pace and when I hit those stepping stones, one of them was slick, and my old ankle said, “Hey, I don’t like this and promptly surrendered.” In a flash I was flat on my face laying in the mud. My flashlight had landed some 10 yards ahead. There I lay. No one around, just me. There I lay, first trying to recover from the pain, and hold back the nausea, but then getting back up on my feet. I didn’t move very fast and as I lay there my thoughts were still on counting my blessings but I must admit I will need forgiveness for my immediate attitude about the falling episode.

I ended up with a couple of bruised knees and a very sore ankle and some pretty messed up trousers. But here’s the kicker. As I reflected on all of this it struck me how that God’s mercy and love and His blessings were still the same, regardless of me having a great day or laying out in the mud between the buildings. Perhaps it was appropriate for me to have this situation happen as an opportunity to put into context the overflowing and undeserved blessings which He has bestowed upon me. So, until the next time I and my ankle provide comic relief I’m inclined to continue to count my many blessings. More later……………..

No comments: