Friday, August 17, 2007

Counting and Naming My Blessings!

Count your blessings Name them one by one.

Count your blessings See what God hath done.

Count your blessings Name them one by one.

Count your many blessings See what God hath done.

Okay, yesterday I shared about my birthday. Our entire gang met last evening at the Mexican food place to celebrate Poppy’s number 61. Today I think back on yesterday’s events and am left with only one choice and that is to count my many blessings.

First, I have to thank God because He’s the one who has never left me nor forsaken me throughout the years of my sojourn here. Because of His great love, He sent His one and only Son to die for me, and were it not for His grace I wouldn’t be able to recognize Him or the blessings He has provided to me.

Second, I’m very thankful to have had a good place to come and work all day yesterday. I was here for about 13 hours and actively engaged in coordinating many activities. I am blessed to work for a man who puts God first and these past eight months have been very fulfilling.

Third, on my way to the eating meeting, (birthday celebration), I was able to talk with my Mom over in Louisiana. What a great blessing to still be able to do this. She’s my Mom and she’s a remarkable blessing to so many and also she was very much involved in my arrival here 61 years ago!

Fourth, while I was at the restaurant Dad called to wish me a happy birthday. I am so thankful for him and what a great step dad he has been and what a wonderful man of God he has become and how thankful and blessed we are to have him in our family these nearly 30 years.

Number five, my wife went all out to make sure I had a wonderful evening with our family. She and the three boys planned it all and put it together but she put in the time and put forth the effort to make sure it was something special. She is a one of a kind, special treasure, and I thank God for her companionship and faithfulness these nearly 43 years.

Finally, the numbers go on and go on and go on from here. The text from the song above published in 1897 says to name your blessings one by one. I greatly appreciate the cards and the very nice gifts I received but there’s no comparison to being surrounded by those you love. Therefore, I want to count them and acknowledge them, and name them as the great blessings, and the heritage God has given to me beginning with our eldest and his family:

Son number one Chris and his wife Sherrie, their children: Tiffany (19) and her love interest Chase, Brittany (16) and Stefani (13).

Son number two Jimmy and his wife Mindi, their children: Jimmy Jr. (10), Alesha and Amanda, our twins, (9), and Alex (23 months).

Son number three Rodney and his wife Mitzi, their children: Kyleigh (12), Lexie (6), and Brady (19 months).

These are the blessings who showed up for my 61st birthday party and they have now been counted and named one by one, and I am thankful to God the Father and His Son, the Lord Jesus Christ, for making this occasion possible and allowing me to bask in the blessings of family, fellowship, and feasting once again. What more can be said? Except, praise God from whom all blessings flow! Amen. More later……………..

No comments: