Monday, August 20, 2007

Getting Something You Didn't Count On!

Yesterday afternoon I noticed a couple of high school boys came to our Church choir practice. It was pretty clear the high school girls in our choir had something to do with them showing up but it reminded me of when I essentially did the same thing. I had just come back from working the summer of 1962 with my uncle in Florida whenever some local boys asked me if I wanted to go out to a country Church where they were having a singing school. I asked why in the world I would want to do that. They said because there was a sizable group of good looking girls participating in the school.

This new piece of information certainly sparked my interest so I tagged along. I went and there she was! I don’t know that much about love at first sight but I did learn how that a lightning bolt could strike you on the spot. I was there when it happened so I do know what I am talking about. That turned out to be one of the most significant days in my life since that singing school girl and I will soon celebrate our forty third year of marriage.

Those boys last night who showed up for choir reminded me of this but also of another memorable occasion whenever some guys showed up for Sunday night service. Same scenario. They had come to see the girls or as they say in England, “to chat them up”. We happened to be sitting towards the back that night so we could see exactly what was going on. These teenage boys were there flexing their muscles and utilizing their best flirting skills. It kind of reminded me of watching male peacocks with their wings all flared, strutting and parading around.

That particular night we had a visiting speaker who brought a Bible message about what is going to happen whenever this world as we know it comes to an end. It was a riveting message and I could tell these boys were catching some of it, at least out of one ear. This was a powerful presentation which ended with a clear picture of what it means to leave this world for the next without Jesus, the Christ, as your Savior.

Whenever the preacher stood and gave the invitation the three macho boys couldn’t stay in their seats. The first one left, almost running down the aisle, crying like a baby because God had gotten hold of his life. Then the second, and then the third. All three repented of their sins and called on Jesus that very night to save them. Think about how this turn of events must have been radically different than what they had in mind when they showed up! They came to chat up the girls and left changed forever. What a testimony to the power of the Gospel!

Of course I too can testify that I went to a Church singing event to check out the girls and because of what happened that night my life has never been the same! Do we have a great God or what? Amen. More later……………..

No comments: