Friday, February 19, 2016

"If Patrick Henry thought that taxation without representation was bad, he should see how bad it is with representation." — Farmer’s Almanac

We send out a very special birthday greeting to our granddaughter Brittany who turns 25 this coming Sunday. Brittany has always been a no nonsense stay focused individual and we thank God for her and her life. It's really amazing for us as grandparents to see these kiddos grow up and become productive citizens. It's just hard to take it all in as we think back from the time they were born, how they were in and out of our home so often, and now they are out there doing their thing. We don't see them like we used to but we don't forget to pray for each one. Have a great birthday and we are looking forward to seeing you Sunday afternoon. May God continue to bless. Love, MiMi and Poppy

                                                *********

Happy Friday and may God provide as we do our thing on this February 19, 2016. We have this wonderful fellow in our local fellowship. He has been a youth sponsor and worker for many years. Recently he posted a photo of he and his wife where they had completed a painting together at one of those workshop deals. The next Sunday I singled him out, gave him a hug, and then got down to business. "Really?" "A couple's workshop where you paint a picture?" "What possessed you man?" "I think it may be time to turn in your man card." He knew I was only joking. We had a huge laugh about it. I thought it was funny so I told the wife about my little conversation with him. She had a different take. "You are kidding, I hope. Surely you didn't say that to him. I certainly hope that you would never say anything like that." Even though the story about George Washington and his chopping down the cherry tree has been pretty much proven to be a made up tale to teach the value of telling the truth, well, when she in such a dramatic way confronted me, I felt compelled to tell her the truth, the whole truth, and nothing but the truth. Yes. I did say those things. He thought it was funny. I thought it was funny. It seems only one person didn't. Just saying. By the way, does anyone know where they might be having one of those couple painting sessions soon? Now I am very much kidding about that one.

After giving her credit for helping me in my daily blogging pursuit and having even quoted some of her suggestions, on the same day she was emboldened to send me a new one, "When you change subjects, you might want to start a new paragraph. LOL. Just saying." Her suggestion was followed by a smiley face and two little bitty hearts. I actually was aware that my little Dr. visit story had little to do with the soccer story. Maybe the injuries on my face they inflicted connected to the soccer injuries emphasis. Probably not. And, I know she is right. About the jumbling up of disconnected thoughts. Which leads me to being able to once again use one of my favorite words. I, at times, can demonstrate a whole lot of discombobulated thinking. That discombobulate word has something to do with being thrown into a state of confusion. I know. I have my own zip code in that particular state. And, as they say, "The road of life is typically paved with gravel, asphalt, or maybe concrete." Okay. I am aware that's not the saying. My question is, do you know the origin of the popular saying? There is a 2009 song that emphasizes how the road to hell is paved with good intentions. This is a way of pointing out the ineffectiveness of intentions, even good intentions, versus meaningful actions. It's essence is thought to have originated in the year 1150 when a cleric penned these words, "Hell is full of good wishes or desires." I think it is a principle that can be found in many of the Scriptures. "Enter by the narrow gate; for wide is the gate and broad is the way that leads to destruction, and there are many who go in by it. Because narrow is the gate and difficult is the way which leads to life, and there are few who find it." (Matthew 7:13-14)  Amen.

I know. That was likely a perfect example of what she was talking about. That's okay because I'm not sure if I have ever even seen a cherry tree. And, I do know for sure that I most likely have never cut one down. I hope that clears everything up a little. This has been a taxing week. You know. As in forecasting our federal tax liability. We have a little set aside to pay our taxes. The wife had hoped for a number much smaller than the one I gave her. Much smaller. She had a little bit of a battle to control herself when I reported what I had found out. I kind of felt like the messenger who gets beat up over the message delivered. But, she assured me she was not angry with me. (She pretty much fooled me at first.) She was venting about those people in Washington who expect so much out of people our age. How could they treat Santa and Mrs. Claus that way? I tried to assure her that it was certainly not personal, they would do the same to anyone. I'm sure we have a few hundred million who would agree. Yet, we made another week and end up being thankful to God for His presence, His provision, and His abiding love and care for His own. Now we move on to Saturday and to Lord's Day Sunday. I do pray that you and yours will have a great weekend where we all can join together in praising our Great God. Amen. ....More later.

No comments: