Friday, July 6, 2007

Family Traditions, Hey They Really Do Stick!

One of the neat things that has happened as a result of doing these stories is receiving responses from those who read them, especially my immediate family. I am thrilled they read and enjoy them and often make comments about their contents. The blog I did on big blow out celebrations where the family gets together for things like the 4th of July really hit home to several of my regular readers. I actually wrote that blog from my viewpoint when I was a child, perhaps ten years old, observing all the many details that made for a special memory.

My wife sent a note and said she could see the whole thing unfolding before her eyes including each face, and no doubt she included her folks in there as well. She also lamented over the fact that we were not able to do our regular big bang production this year due to scheduling conflicts, and she felt bad because of not being able to make another memory for our children and grandchildren.

I received a note from my eldest son who commented on it from when he was a kid enjoying these grand occasions. He recalled how the men always, especially on their arrival at the meeting place, discussed in great detail their particular routes and the time they made on the trip. This was important information because you learned who was the best driver, and who got the best mileage, and who found a new short cut.

Later I received a note from our nineteen-year-old granddaughter and she was reminiscing over the great memories she had of wonderful days of food and fun at MiMi’s and Poppy’s family gatherings. That would be my wife and I.

Wow! My viewpoint went back at least 50 years and my wife’s was different but about the same time frame. My son’s went back over 30 years and our granddaughter’s was around 10 years. Each one professed very similar great memories of special family gatherings but all on a different timeline.

My note back to my granddaughter said obviously this is why we call it a “family tradition” because it provides great recollections and we are able to continue it with new ones coming on board all the time. I know there are at least ten to fifteen special people who are part of my memories of these great times who have gone on to their final reward. Yet, this sense of our being together and enjoying these types of celebrations is clearly a gift that we should cherish and be thankful for. As the Russian comedian used to say often, “Is this a great country or what?”

My granddaughter said she feels sad for those who have grown up without these family times of connection and feasting. She in particular remembered once when her and her sister were much younger and were eating watermelon like it was going out of style. She said they had red stains on their clothes like they had spilled Kool-Aid on them and they had poured the salt on because they had seen me doing the same. Now I ask you? If someone like me doesn’t teach them the proper way to eat watermelon, then who will do it?

I still eat watermelon the same way. There you have it. Many thought I might not leave a legacy but watermelon eating is a step in that direction. I come away from this time of emailing forth and back on this subject with a deep sense of thankfulness to God that He has allowed us the place, the provisions, and the sense of priority to do the planning and work required to build these memories. Makes you want to keep on keeping on. Amen. More later…….

No comments: