Thursday, June 7, 2007

Some Family Stories Should Bring A Smile!

One of the things I notice in our day is how so many people remember so much bad from their growing up days. I’m not completely sure but I think maybe our culture conditions much of this so we all find our place in the Victim Hall of Fame. Let me quickly add that I am very well aware of many who suffered great abuse and difficulties and certainly they would rightfully look back on their younger days with great sadness. But, in general, most of us had a mixed upbringing, where our folks did the best they could. I know for me not every day was a wonderful day in the neighborhood, but on balance, I had many more good days than bad. Looking back, one of the characteristics of the good days was experiencing happenings that brought a smile then, and still do today.

A lady who used to be in my Bible study class was a lovely person who was a huge James Dobson fan and always liked to talk about the inner self, and psychological well being, and other related issues like this. One day she was talking about how important it was to confront those who had injured you in the past and bring closure, etc., etc. Jokingly I told her I sure would be glad to know who had messed me up because when I found out their name they would certainly have much to answer for. It’s like the preacher I once heard say that because of us coming into a sin cursed world, we all grow up in dysfunctional families, some more than others, but all with their own set of problems.

We don’t need to forget completely the pain associated with our past, but at the same time we need to also pay attention to the good times that caused us to laugh, and brought joy to our hearts. People are funny. That’s all there is to it! My granddad was a very moral person. His theology informed his behavior instead of the other way round which is mostly how it’s done today. However, he did have a Scotch-Irish temper and it could get loose on him every once in a while. He would never say actual curse words but used substitutes instead, but it was funny because when he did he could put on quite a show, and then would get even more upset because we were enjoying watching him.

I remember one time when a family group went to the creek for a reunion. This was a good sized waterway next to where it flowed into a river so my granddad came up with the idea that while the others were doing the barbecuing and preparation for the luncheon, he would spend his time in catching some fish. His scheme was to take some jugs and tie them together with additional lines and hooks. He spent a lot of time getting ready to launch his homemade fishing contraption. When it came time to do so everyone came to the edge of the embankment to watch this great sight. There were probably forty of us watching him as he stood on a ledge overlooking the creek. He began to whirl the jugs round and round but when he turned loose they did not go out to the creek, instead they wrapped themselves tightly around my grandfather, from head to toe. Oh, was he ever hot! That day he said something that did not include any substitutions, which I will not repeat here, but it caused my grandmother to cry out: “Well, D A D D Y!” It’s one of those great memories that always bring a smile when I think about it. Just for the record, what he said would be considered very tame in today’s gutter-style way of communicating.

My boys tell quite a few stories on me as well. They, of course, embellish them quite a bit but enjoy talking about how I operated when we were making a trip, and how I would tell them many times to stop arguing or talking and then finally my arm would rocket into the back seat and grab whatever it found. They tell these stories and many more and laugh. I’m not sure they laughed then but they do remember trying to make sure when the “human claw” came; it would grab someone other than them.

Our youngest loves to tell about the time my wife had me on a diet and he came around the corner outside the house and found me eating a marsh mellow moon pie. He says I put the entire thing in my mouth and then tried to act like I had not been doing anything at all, but the way he tells it, I started choking with crumbs flying everywhere including out my nose. I, of course, don’t remember this incident that well, but I do know he loves to tell this story and everyone loves to hear it! Part of this is no doubt because people think I am so serious and straight-laced. They like to be reminded that I’m just as human as the next person. That’s one of the things that make remembering the good times special.

Life is tough. No one can deny that. Go back and read my earlier blogs about the things that have happened in my family and you will get a good dose of just how tough it can be. However, God is good and one of the things He gives is our memory of times that make us chuckle. Maybe if we spent more time dwelling on them, the other stuff would not dominate our thoughts. Something to think about. More later………

No comments: