Monday, June 4, 2007

Obsessive Compulsive Blogging Disorder, OCBD!

The title is supposed to be a joke. But don’t be surprised if it’s not a coming attraction on the next list of addictive behaviors!

My wife often asks how I come up with all this stuff. My eldest son wondered out loud if it was a good idea to share private thoughts with the world. My answer to the first is that when you do a lot of living and are blessed to live into your 60’s, you most likely have more stories than those who don’t (Yogi Berra didn’t say this one, but he could have!). My answer to the second has to do with sharing the insight God has allowed me to learn in how He has worked in my life; therefore, these stories may be an encouragement to others. A song I love, I understand to have been originally a Negro spiritual, has this sentiment expressed: “If I can help somebody as I go along, then my living has not been in vain”.

On the other hand, I will admit that knowing what to write about next can be challenging. My grandfather, who was a giant in my life especially during most of my formative years, was a man of few words. He used to warn me about talking too much and sometimes when I was really wound up he would say: “Son, are you coming up for air anytime soon?” And even my lovely bride gives me that eye over the eyebrow look occasionally to let me know she thinks I am dominating the conversation.

I do notice at times when you do a search of a particular item and land on someone’s blog you might notice how they had much to say and were faithful to keep it going for a while, but nothing has been posted for months or perhaps over a year. Guess they ran out of stuff to share, or maybe they switched to a better blog engine or they just became fatigued from all the effort. Hopefully, if and when, and I realize that’s a big if, I run out of things to share I will use the Porky Pig ending and write a final blog entitled: “That’s All Folks!”

My grandmother was called Granny Mac and for as long as I knew her she was always cold natured. I am by gene pool contamination, exposure, environment, and maybe even global warming, a very hot natured person. Granny used to say: “I sure hope I live to see the day when you know what it means to be cold all the time”. She didn’t. On very cold mornings I walk out on the driveway in my shirtsleeves and look up at the sky and say to my Granny, “Not today! That’s the way I feel about this blogging thing thus far. I may well run out of stuff and even what I have written may be of little value to some, but at this point if asked, I would answer like I would say to my Granny, “Not today!”

But I am also aware that people can become addicted to almost anything. In fact, just for fun, Google the word ‘addiction’ and the lists generated will be staggering. Some time ago my wife and I were entertaining our three eldest granddaughters, all teenagers. The sixteen year old is in to text messaging in a big way. I don’t know if she can type a lick but her fingers are a blur on the keypad of her cell phone. I asked her why in the world she would text when she could actually talk to the person. She gave me that teenage look that says: “You don’t you have a clue, do you?” and waved me off. We were at a restaurant and when our food came she kept on texting. Finally, the time came when all good texting must come to an end. She was not happy but finally relented. I fully realize this fad will fade and her younger sister will be blurring her way through the next technological gizmo. But, it does illustrate how any of us can become so immersed in something; we can lose sight of the world around us, and especially those needy people we might be able to help.

Do I suffer from obsessive compulsive blogging disorder, (OCBD)? I certainly hope not and if I start down that path perhaps someone will intervene. Why? Because anything that keeps us away from the calling God has given to us, no matter how good or well intentioned it may be, is still not aligned with His best. The only way I know to balance things is to always put Him first in all things. Some argue if I do that I will neglect my other responsibilities. Wrong! However, if you use putting Him first as an excuse, which is more common than one might think, and then neglect your duties, you’ve really made a mess out of it. The big picture is what’s important. It’s the JOY acronym personified. J is for Jesus first. O is for others. And, Y is for yourself last. Modern Christian psychology, so-called, could learn something from this but that’s another story, so don’t get me started.

Here’s the key to a blessed life from God’s own word: But seek ye first the kingdom of God, and his righteousness; and all these things shall be added unto you. (Matthew 6:33) Delight yourself in the LORD and he will give you the desires of your heart. (Psalm 37:4) In all thy ways acknowledge him, and he shall direct thy paths. (Proverbs 3:6)

More later…………

No comments: