Thursday, July 23, 2026

What is a fun fact about physical therapy? "Physical Therapy Dates Back Thousands of Years! Some treatment methods date all the way back to 460 B.C., when the Greek Physician, Hippocrates, advocated for the use of massage, hydrotherapy, and manual therapy techniques for pain relief." ~ copied

Good morning and welcome to this day, Thursday, July 23, 2026. I didn't get a cap and gown, but I did complete my physical therapy course. It was rigorous from my perspective. You know, the program was designed for older people whose muscle groups have atrophied from long-term inactivity. If confession is good for the soul, I would guess it's good for the body since I qualified as the possessor of those sleepy muscles. I did 8 sessions, an hour each. According to my wonderful advisor, a doctor of physical therapy, she was running out of superlatives to describe my progress. I actually looked around the room to see if she was actually talking to me. She addressed me as Mr. Cecil, and her analysis went along these lines: When you came to us, your rating was at this level. Now, after these 8 sessions, your rating is at this level. Really? Okay. If you say so. She was throwing in some strong 'greats' and 'wows' to indicate how much progress I had made. Let me be clear. I have made considerable progress, and this young doctor of physical therapy has been of great help. I have better balance now. I can climb stairs better. In general, I am stronger than when I started. Here is my caveat. My age. I am better and can function more effectively than before, for my age. I know I tend to lean a wee bit cynical; thus, I kind of felt like she was reporting how well she did, but since I am practicing at being better at overlooking, I'll give her the benefit of the doubt and say how much I appreciate her technical skills and her approach to helping someone like me. Let me add this: I thank God for His provision of access to these types of remedies and people like her. I do. I really do. 

 

Do not look for me at the next Ironman competition. In fact, my time spent in physical therapy reminded me more of the old WipeOut TV competition show where people mostly embarrassed themselves trying to navigate through a series of odd physical challenges. Most of the time, most of them wiped out. I identify with the wiped-out brigade. I recently reconnected with the most popular grammar and writing program to analyze my blogs. He or she does not care for my homespun colloquialisms. That program wears me out, and at times I can see how he or she ends up doing a lot of head scratching. I always want to produce blogs in the most readable form possible. Please don't throw rocks at me. That is my desire. I well remember my grandfather, Paw Paw Mac, upon discovering my mishap or failure, and my excuse was that that was not my intention. He heard me and would then ask the pertinent question, "Okay son, then what exactly was your intention?" I continue to be a work in progress. I appreciate your tolerance and your support. I do. I really do. Let's just say all of it together adds up to make life a wee bit more interesting. And, you have your forth and back experiences as well. We all do. Regardless of what yours are about and regardless of the stuff I live to tell about, God is still on His throne and Jesus is still our Savior, and, Holy Spirit God still lives within those who are His own. Now, that my friend is what Good News is all about. It is. It really is. Amen.

No comments: