Tuesday, July 28, 2026

Matthew 6:34 ~ English Standard Version ESV ~ “Therefore do not be anxious about tomorrow, for tomorrow will be anxious for itself. Sufficient for the day is its own trouble."

I often hear, as I go here and there, the phrase, "One day at a time." That represents how we approach life. Right? It is Tuesday, July 28, 2026, and I welcome each and every one to our time together as I click and clack the old keyboard here at the ole blogger ranch (my upstairs office, to be clear). For those of us who operate in Christian circles, that "One day at a time" reminds us of the song by the same title rendered in this way: One day at a time, sweet Jesus. That song was written in 1974 by two great songwriters who have both gone on to their reward, Marijohn Wilkin and Kris Kristofferson. It was recorded by more than 200 artists, with Christy Lane's version selling over 1 million records. It continues to be a popular favorite for many. It was named Song of the Year at the Dove Awards in 1975. The lyrics tap into what it means to seek God as one lives out each of their days here on the planet:

 

 One Day at a Time, Sweet Jesus - as recorded by Christy Lane

[Verse 1]
I'm only human, I'm just a woman
Help me believe in what I could be and all that I am
Show me the stairway I have to climb
Lord, for my sake, teach me to take one day at a time

[Chorus]
One day at a time, sweet Jesus
That's all I'm asking from You
Just give me the strength to do everyday
What I have to do

[Post-Chorus]
Yesterday's gone, sweet Jesus
And tomorrow may never be mine (Ooh)
Lord, help me today, show me the way
One day at a time

[Verse 2]
Do You remember when You walked among men?
Well, Jesus, You know, if You're looking below, it's worse now than then
Cheating and stealing, violence and crime (Ah)
So for my sake, teach me to take one day at a time

 

The lyric metaphors certainly take some liberties reflecting Biblical themes, but the sentiment speaks to our need for God to help us take one day at a time. Another song speaks to how I see myself, as demonstrated in the chorus: " I need Thee, oh, I need Thee; Every hour I need Thee; Oh, bless me now, my Savior! I come to Thee." How about this one that makes clear our dependence upon God: "I can't even walk without You holding my hand." You think you can make it on your own? You think you can chart your own course in life? Okay. Been there. Done that. Here's the truth: those are roads to nowhere, my friend. I sat across the desk from a man often referred to as self-made. He had truly accomplished much in his life. His photo was on the front cover of several business magazines. From scratch, he had built a multi-billion-dollar enterprise. I greatly respected him and was honored to work for him on a consulting endeavor. However, while I was on that project, he discovered he had liver cancer and died several months later. Some say he found God before he left this life for the next. I sincerely hope that is true. Eternity. That, my friend, is a very long time. The Bible says it clearly: "What good will it be for someone to gain the whole world, yet forfeit their soul? Or what can anyone give in exchange for their soul?" (Matthew 16:26, Mark 8:36, and Luke 9:25). This is why we need to have Jesus, yes Sweet Jesus, in our life to help us live, one day at a time. Amen.

No comments: