Friday, May 24, 2013

"We'll try to cooperate fully with the IRS, because, as citizens, we feel a strong patriotic duty not to go to jail." Dave Barry

It's Friday, May 24, 2013 and I am thinking about how that we all are entitled to a rant now and then. Right? What's that you say? You think I might already be over my limit? Good observation but since I'm the one maintaining the count, I will choose to proceed. Buried in the Internal Revenue Service story of how they abused their power, it has been revealed just how difficult it is to fire someone within the service for just about any reason. Except for those appointed executive staff, the majority of IRS employees are a part of a union. No administration in history has been closer to the unions than the current one. They are joined at the hip, so to speak. But, back to my rant. The people who actually did the targeting of conservative groups in order to stall and delay their applications for tax exempt status may never be held accountable for their actions. In fact, their rights are so strongly protected, these individuals cannot even be named publicly. Here's the deal: 1) They do not deny the charge that they used political identification to harass American citizens/groups. 2) They do not deny this to be a gross violation of the ethical standards where all citizens are to be treated in a fair and equal manner. 3) It is also a fact that after all the huffing and puffing subsides, not much in the way of penalty will be felt by those directly involved. Another sad note: No one knows how this got started. No one knows who told who to do it. No one knows. Nothing. Absolutely nothing. People who are paid hundreds of thousands of dollars have no idea how this happened in their organization. Is it any wonder people lack faith in government, period, end of story?

I say that knowing full well that collecting taxes has always been and continues to be a thankless job. And, for the more than 100,000 employees employed by the IRS, I'm very sure the majority do their work as best they know how with dedication and integrity. The fact that the service is not well liked can never be an excuse for wrongful behavior. If the ordinary citizen begins to doubt that an all powerful governmental agency like the IRS is operating in an unfair manner, well, this has a huge slop over effect on all areas of government operations. This wouldn't be the first time this agency has been used improperly but it does come at a time when there's a lot of anger percolating throughout the land of the free and the home of the brave. Many times abuses are swept under the rug because of the need for revenue. That's right: Revenue typically always wins. Ordinary citizens may not. It's not only at the federal level, it works that way at the state and local level as well. But it does give us something to talk about on a Friday morning and I've done my best to throw up my thoughts, therefore, you can do with them as you please. In fact, don't let the IRS know you read my blog because for all I know I may be on their hit list. Just kidding. They wouldn't be caring about little ole me. Would they?

Lord willing we will be attending the High School graduation for our Stefani tomorrow evening. It will be held at the huge professional football complex in Houston, beginning at 8 p.m. These graduations help define our journey and we are so thankful for Stef and the life that God has given to her and the plan He has for her life going forward. She will be attending college beginning with a local community college. I well remember the day her dad was born. That was back in 1965. I well remember the day she was born in 1994. This is the third daughter to graduate for our Chris and his wife, Sherrie. Like I say, these transitions speak to the sojourn we have been privileged to travel here. I kept her quite often when she was a toddler. I was in and out of town doing consulting work and when I was in town she stayed with me. She doesn't remember it at all. I do. I tell her that me being her caretaker probably contributed greatly to her development. She doesn't remember it at all. And, so it goes. Our prayer is that she will always look to God first in all her ways. Congratulations and may God bless you, Stef. Amen. Our love, MiMi and Poppy     ...More later.

No comments: