Wednesday, March 11, 2009

Don' ask my internal clock what time it is, he's still tyring to figure out what's going on!

I’ve often wondered about the time change deal and the impact it has on our internal clocks. That’s what I have on my mind this morning on this Wednesday, March 11, 2009. For those who say there is zero impact from this saving of daylight scheme on our internal systems I would have to loudly disagree. Last week it was beginning to get lighter each morning as I opened up all our shop buildings. Now I’m back in the dark again. It would seem that current medical science also agrees that the body’s internal clock is a mostly unseen but significant player in how our lives function and operate. Newsweek did a long story on this last July and listed seven major categories where our biological clocking systems matter in a very material way.

Things like sleep cycles, heart function, body temperature, hormone levels, and other major areas are greatly influenced by our internal clocking system. The article referred to this phenomenon as our body rhythm. Another headline that caught my attention said this: “Time change wreaks havoc on internal body clock.” This is from a Canadian news source from last week. In that article an assistant professor who specializes in this area made this statement: "You are moving external time forward so you get a dissynchronicity between the internal (body) clock time and the external clock time. Our bodies get somewhat confused." He went on to say that it takes approximately five days for our bodies to adjust to this alteration. In passing I would say I love the way he stated it even if I don’t pretend to entirely understand it.

What are the symptoms one might experience while making these adjustments? In most folks it’s only some temporary feelings of tiredness and irritability but in those who are already on the edges of dealing with sleep related issues or other types of imbalances, it can be of huge impact. Bottom-line, it impacts different people in different ways. I know I am feeling sluggish since the weekend and I’ll be looking forward to when my body’s central control center throws in the towel, gives up the fight, and embraces the new time parameters that’s been forced on him. It’s good to know that it’s not just in our minds or perhaps that is the point, it is in our minds but it really does make a difference. We can now be a little more understanding of those who have more trouble than we do in making this transition. I know the rationale before was to extend daylight for more daytime activities like being outdoors and enjoying leisure activities. Nowadays folks can’t afford much in the way of extracurricular activities or the higher electric bills to cool their homes. Let’s start a petition to go back to the old time system but then we would have to readjust to it. Man, they get you coming or going, don’t they? I’m beginning to sound like my granddad.

I would continue but right now I may need to take a time out, lay my head on my desk, and take a short nap. Just kidding, but if I thought I could get by with it I might just take a shot at it. I do pray that you and yours will have a wonderful day and rest of the week. Amen. ….More later.

No comments: