Monday, October 5, 2026

“Your firstborn baby may hold your hand for only a little while, but it will hold your heart for the rest of your life” – Anonymous

Good morning, and welcome to our time together on this Monday, October 5, 2026. This is a very special day in our family because, on this date in 1965, our first child, our son Chris, was born. It was truly a case of children having children, but God gave us a wonderful son, and we have been blessed throughout the years. I’m not sure where he got it, but he was always a quick study—intelligent and mechanically inclined. He began working on appliances and other household items at a very early age. Today, he holds a responsible managerial position with his company. He has been married for 40 years and has three daughters and seven grandchildren. All of his accomplishments are worth noting. However, we are most thankful for his walk with God, his many years of teaching God’s Word, and his servant’s heart as a man of God. That counts. For time and eternity. Happy Birthday, Son, and may God continue to bless you. Amen.

I am no longer an avid sports follower. Believe me, I once was. These days, I read the headlines but rarely watch the games. The Astros were one and done. The Texans are pathetic. I’m not sure about the Rockets. However, I do enjoy reading the back-and-forth between our eldest son and our youngest son, Rodney, as they watch the games and text their commentary to each other. I’m included in their group text, so I get to follow along. At one time, I was also an avid NASCAR fan and followed Jeff Gordon throughout most of his career. I still check the race results and standings from time to time. I also check the college football scores and the standings but rarely watch any of the games. We also keep up with Caitlin Clark, the WNBA superstar. Sadly, through no fault of her own, she has become the focus of considerable division. She is a white player in a league dominated by Black athletes, and she brought a huge new fan base to the sport. Yet discussions about her popularity have become entangled with arguments about race, including references to white supremacy. I’m not making that up. That phrase appeared in a prominent report in a national newspaper. In my view, these controversies too often overshadow her play. She has broken numerous records in her short professional career, and we find ourselves rooting for her as an underdog, even though I consider her one of the best to ever play the game. The wife enjoys watching the various versions of Ninja Warrior. She also likes to make fun of me for straining right along with a competitor, trying to help them finish a competition—even when we’re watching a rerun. Okay. Maybe that explains why I am no longer a sports fanatic. And, just so you know, fanatic is where we get the word 'fan'. Get it? Good.

 

Our son Chris is out of town on a business trip; therefore, we will catch up with him to celebrate his birthday when he returns. One meme I read put it this way: While we are not perfect parents, we can be praying parents. And that we are. I do hope God will work in each of our lives as we continue the journey He has appointed for us. Amen. 

No comments: