Friday, October 9, 2026

1st John 3:2 from the Amplified Bible: "Beloved, we are [even here and] now children of God, and it is not yet made clear what we will be [after His coming]. We know that when He comes and is revealed, we will [as His children] be like Him, because we will see Him just as He is [in all His glory]."

I started my day thinking about how heaven feels closer to me than ever. Duh! Yeah. As a believer, every day you live here on this planet puts you one day closer to going home. Sorry. But it seems that we older folks often have that faraway look in our eyes as we contemplate the day when we will see our Lord and Savior face to face. What wonderful thoughts for this Friday, October 9, 2026. Yet, we spend our time here doing this, that, and the other as the days keep passing. The thing that occupies my heart and mind these days is doing my best, with God’s help and provision, to make the time I have left count—for time and eternity. This past Wednesday evening, our choir practiced an arrangement of the Dottie Rambo classic, “We Shall Behold Him.” I looked up the song’s history:

~ Dottie Rambo wrote the classic gospel song “We Shall Behold Him” after a dramatic sunset inspired her to imagine the second coming of Jesus Christ. She was driving to pick up a friend on the way to a revival service when she noticed an unusually vivid sunset with cloud formations she had never seen before. Looking at the rolling clouds, she imagined the sky opening up and Christ returning in glory. Overcome with emotion, she asked her friend to drive. In about seven minutes, she composed the lyrics and melody in her mind before writing them down. She shared the song with arranger David Clydesdale while sitting at a spinet piano. He finished the orchestration in two hours, and musicians were playing it the next day. The song reached a massive audience when Christian singer Sandi Patty recorded it for her 1981 album, Love Overflowing. At the 1982 Gospel Music Association Dove Awards, it won Song of the Year, cementing Rambo’s legacy as one of gospel music’s top songwriters. ~

Dottie went on to her reward in 2008, leaving behind more than 2,500 songs. Most are familiar with Sandi Patty’s version of “We Shall Behold Him,” but I also enjoy hearing Dottie sing it. Look it up on YouTube. Meanwhile, what a thought—and what a truth! Amen and Amen.
 
 
 

One of the most agonizing situations for our Lil Miss Biscuit is watching us get ready to go somewhere. Let’s face it: She is smart enough to know that when we change clothes, we’ll be leaving soon. She typically goes into her moping mode, climbs into her little bed, and flattens out with that mournful stare. I’m not sure whether she has the abandonment concerns I’ve read about, but she is always so glad to see us when we return. She typically flips out! I took that photo the other day while we were getting dressed for Church. It captures her feelings perfectly. I’ve mentioned before that while she may enjoy some Gaither or other worship music, hours of it probably become a bit tormenting. If only she could comprehend how fortunate she is to be spoiled the way we spoil her! Her life is nothing like that of the dogs we had when I was a kid. They stayed outside, fending for themselves regardless of the weather. They ate table scraps, and how much they got depended on what was left. They weren’t really pets. They were there to bark and let us know when someone came onto the property. I’ll admit it: I do think about our Lil Miss Biscuit when she is home alone. I do. I really do. And I’m always ready to get back home as soon as I can. That’s how I roll. What say you? Y’all have a great rest of today, Saturday, and Lord’s Day Sunday. Lord willing, I’ll catch back up come next Monday. Lord willing. Amen.

No comments: