Monday, December 23, 2019

"The immense step from the Babe at Bethlehem to the living, reigning triumphant Lord Jesus, returning to earth for His own people - that is the glorious truth proclaimed throughout Scripture. As the bells ring out the joys of Christmas, may we also be alert for the final trumpet that will announce His return, when we shall always be with Him." - Alan Redpath

Good morning and welcome to the Monday before Christmas Eve, on this day, December 23, 2019. One of the most amazing experiences for Mrs. Claus and I has to do with the repetitive nature of our work over the last ten years. The photo is of the third child of a young man we watched grow up in our local fellowship. We served with his parents who were wonderful Christ-followers. Both are in heaven now. I served several years with the young man when he was a teen as we were a part of a team that helped do a weekly Bible club in the inner city. We were at his wedding. We have taken photos with him and his family during the years since and this year we added little Caroline, two months old. While at that neighborhood outreach event, another young guy, maybe 11 or 12, came over to where we were sitting, plopped down in my lap and said this to the both of us, "I want you folks to always be a part of my life, forever." And, my family wonders why I can never come up with something for them to get me for Christmas. I would say this about that. I am filled to overflowing with blessings. Amen.

Apartment complex staff photo.
Last week, I did the last of four Christmas parties at different locations for an apartment complex chain. The party goes on for two hours. It is different since most of the folks come, have a photo taken with Santa and then they stay. This means I get to visit with many of the children for an extended period of time. Some of these little ones are amazing. They will talk you down. Questions. As fast as I can come up with an answer, they have another one waiting. The reindeer. Rudolph. The sleigh. The elves. Their personal elf. The chimney. The boots. The toy factory. My glasses. The cookies and milk. My beard. And, always, the magic. One particular little African American girl was popping them to me left and right. She was absolutely precious. I was running low on fuel when she asked whether I had a wife. I told her I did. I got my briefcase and found one of our Santa and Mrs. Claus souvenir cards. I gave it to her and told her it was our secret since I didn't have enough to share with everyone. I then pointed out my wife who was sitting on the couch. She wasn't in her Christmas attire but I told the little girl to go ask her if she is the Mrs. Claus in the photo. Off she went. Whew! I could take a deep breath along with a few sips of water. Be Santa Claus, it will be easy, all you have to do is sit. That's a good one!

You may tire of hearing about my Santa related escapades, but, it is a part of the fabric of who we have become. I cannot leave without spending some time, perhaps later, talking about our time with special needs children. Even mentioning the subject causes tears to well up in my eyes. I'll put that one on the 'coming attractions' list. The neighborhood outreach we did for some Church friends was very successful. They wanted to get to know their neighbors. What better way than to open your home and provide photos with the 'real' Santa and Mrs. Claus? Ice breaker. Their motivation is to eventually be able to share Christ with them, to invite them to visit our Church and to let them know they are there for them. We loved doing it. And, in case you were wondering, when we got home on Saturday after finishing our last scheduled event with the Down Syndrome folks, a huge sigh of relief was heard escaping from our humble abode. It was not unlike the late Ross Perot's description of the ills of the pending trade deal where he likened American jobs leaving with a "giant sucking sound." We do look forward to suiting up one more time. For our kids, their kids, and, their kids' kids. Lord willing, on Christmas Day. Amen. ....More later.

No comments: