Thursday, July 20, 2017

"Give credit where credit is due. The rural letter-carriers are more considerate than their urban counterparts. All of the packages marked "Fragile" are thrown underhanded in the rural stations." ~ copied

Welcome one and all to the continuing serialized saga of yours truly. Today's episode comes to you live and in person on this Thursday, July 20, 2017. I know most of you wonder about me running out of things to talk about. I get that. I will share something with you if you promise not to spread it. I ran out a long time ago, I just didn't stop banging on the keyboard. Here's how Solomon, the wisest man ever to walk on this earth, outside of the Living Lord of the Universe, Jesus the Christ, put it, "That which has been is that which will be, And that which has been done is that which will be done. So there is nothing new under the sun." (Ecclesiastes 1:9) I suppose that means I'm in good company. Or maybe not. Probably not. I'm pretty sure, not. As you can see, that will not deter me. It might derail me, but it will not keep me from my appointed rounds. (I took that from the post office slogan, "Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed rounds.") That reminds me. We have a new postal route carrier. He is a young African American fellow. I went out the other day and met him, shook hands with him, and gave him one of my Santa cards. I told him I thought it was important for him to know who he was delivering mail to. I did that. I really did. If nothing else, it gave him something to talk about when he got home. I try to help in any way I can. 


The image I used in the first paragraph may not connect very well, but, I saw it the other day and knew I had to share it. The biggest of the big bosses at the big company where I worked in what seems now to have been in a galaxy far, far away, well, he got stopped by the police one evening for speeding. I knew about it because the group I headed was given the responsibility for installing a car phone in the foreign sports car that belonged to her. This was the early days of car phone technology. The phone was a gift to his daughter. We located the best folks we could find, paid a premium to break into line, but they never installed one in a little sports car like that one. They were running late. I was sweating bullets because it was to be presented at a surprise birthday party. A costume party. Our big boss was going as a gorilla. We ran late. He had to wear the costume in the car. He was stopped for speeding wearing a gorilla suit. The phone in his daughter's little car worked. She was so happy. I was too. It was important because it meant that I lived to fight another day. Yep. That's how it worked back in those days. 

Would I have lost my job if that phone had not worked? Who knows? But, that was the way we looked at dealing with executive requests, back in those days. Just so you know, my recollection of happenings in the past may have undergone some level of editing over time. One does begin to lose some focus and crispness as it relates to the recalling of specific details on remembered events. I was reminded of how this works when dealing with folks from my past during the home going of our parents. When we reminiscence, it's hard to always know whether you can actually recall the specific good time or event being discussed, or, whether it might be a recollection based on photos or just hearing about it before. I started to say our minds are funny that way, but, it's best to limit my assessment to my own experiences, making it better stated, my mind is funny that way. Not ha ha funny, just, funny. If you don't have any idea what I am talking about then you can feel good that you are still in full contact with all of your faculties. You do get to pass go but don't look for a $200 check in your mail box, anytime soon. I think it may be time for my nap now. Enjoy your day and may God bless us all. Amen. .....More later.

No comments: