Friday, January 20, 2017

"O Lord, who lends me life, lend me a heart replete with thankfulness." ~ William Shakespeare, (1564-1616), English playwright & poet. From: Henry VI, Part II, Act I, Scene 1

Mom, taken Wednesday.
Well, well, well. I looked up and what did I see? Another Friday has landed and this one happens to be listed as January 20, 2017. We are planning another trip to Louisiana for tomorrow to visit mom. She is making slow but steady progress. The doctor wants her to stay for at least another week for the antibiotic IV treatment for her pneumonia. When I talk to her on the phone I can hear the improvement. Our entire family continues to be so thankful for the outpouring of love, prayers, and support. We thank God for His provision. Amen.

A fellow at our Wednesday evening Bible study told me what he had been doing during the rain that kept him indoors all day. Book work. To support the filing of his tax return. While I am thankful to live in our wonderful country, I must confess that when he said that, I shuddered. It was one of those feelings I've mentioned before. That sensation on the back of your neck where they used to say it felt like a cat had run over your grave. I'll have to work on our return eventually but I'm certainly not looking forward to it. I don't want you to have that thing on the back of your neck, therefore, I'm sharing some thoughts to help you get ready. ~ Ambition in America is still rewarded . . . with high taxes. ~ The rich and the poor are alike. They both complain about taxes. ~ An income-tax form is like a laundry list - either way you lose your shirt. ~ Income tax is Uncle Sam's version of "Truth or Consequences." ~ George Washington may have never told a lie, but then he never had to file a Form 1040. ~ Trying to cure runaway government spending by raising taxes is like giving a drunk another drink to sober him up. ~ A harmonica is a piano, after taxes. ~ Another American invention: The permanent temporary additional tax. ~ Updated idiom: A penny saved is a penny taxed. ~ Okay. I adapted these from a website, Jokes4us.com. They were unattributed and I did restate some of them to add my touch. Just trying to lighten things up a little.

Another work week will soon be in the books. You know how that water looks as it goes down the drain. That spiraling vortex look. That's how I feel at times as stuff seems to be flying here, there, and everywhere. I feel like one of those drones that malfunctions, making it spin around in circles. Yeah. That would explain the dizzy spells. You do know that I am kidding. Mostly. I am easily confused. Here's an example from early Thursday morning: Like I really can't figure out why my blood sugar number is glowing after eating everything I shouldn't have eaten at the Wednesday evening Church potluck including the store bought Italian Cream cake sent by the wife. I looked at that number and thought to myself, I wonder what might be going on. Here's a good one. An insulin dependent diabetic brother at the Church was commenting how well he liked that cake. I told him that I really liked it too. He immediately said, "Hey, you are not supposed to be eating stuff like that!" Ironic and funny. And, enjoyable. All at the same time. I started to say I have no complaints but when that cat did that number on my neck, well, it might just have messed up one of the nerves. How does that saying go? I either have a pain in my neck or I am one. I'll let you chew on that one for a while. Enjoy your Saturday and do your best to show up for worship on Lord's Day Sunday. Take care and may God bless us, one and all. Amen. .....More later.

No comments: