Wednesday, November 19, 2014

What do you call a kid who doesn't believe in Santa? A rebel without a Claus. (copied)

Wednesday. Already? Yep. Hello and welcome. It's another wonderful day in Santa's wonderland neighborhood on this November 19, 2014. I see the temperature is forecasted to be considerably warmer by this upcoming weekend. Yippee! Not so fast pilgrim. This upcoming weekend will be our first time to suit up for the season and if I had my druthers I would take the deep freeze environment because the suit and all of its accessories are not very cool. I've spent some time reviewing the hot list of toys for this year. I do like to have a clue when the kids talk about what they are anticipating. No doubt Disney has found a way to continue milking the Frozen movie franchise so there will be many requests for all the characters and other stuff associated with this phenomenally popular show. Hot Wheels, Skylander, Transformers, and Legos are still on the top toy list. Teenage Mutant Nija Turtles remain popular along with a variety of stuffed talking animals, and electronics galore. I will likely be stumped a time or two because some kids can come up with some pretty strange requests. The wife has all of our gear laid out and we will likely do a trial run Friday evening as we anticipate a long day Saturday and most of the afternoon on Sunday. Meanwhile I will try to get my ho ho ho's in better shape. At this point, they could use some help.

Please don't write me because I am well aware of the 'jolly' part of this adventure. I'm still counting on the children to get that part of the process up and going. You know about my long running complaints regarding the weather prognostication business. Well, there are times when I am very pleased that the hype does not materialize. All we heard about earlier this week was the hard freeze. I didn't want to go along with them but when it is on every station and you begin to have these visions of your car stuck in the driveway, you know, as in the tires frozen to the concrete, well, you end up responding. I got up Tuesday morning expecting to face a Minneapolis styled welcome when I left the house. I layered my clothing, dug out my skull cap, and was standing there anticipating the day. The wife got up and came into the kitchen and she was holding her phone. She announced that it was 34 degrees. Let me see if I have this right? Hard freeze for hours, 28 or lower, probably breaking a record set back in 1959. Maybe the conspiracy theorists are right. They promote the idea that the weather people are on the take from the hardware store folks who sell all the weatherizing products. Oh well, just for grins I did check out the Minneapolis weather for that morning. It was 8 degrees with a feels like of -6. Thanks local folks for being wrong. One more time.

I suppose we all should be feeling a little better this week. We have a reshaped government with a different line up of folks holding power. Not so fast my friend. What sounded like a fury of promises in terms of actions that will be forthcoming have become more like fizzles as the days have proceeded. We should not be surprised. Our founders did not have in mind the establishment of career politicians who are in office for 30 or more years. But, since they vote themselves a salary and benefits, it's obviously a pretty good gig, but it does have some negatives and you and I are the recipients of most of them. But, you sounded so optimistic? Change of the status quo in Washington, D.C. may be harder than a ninja warrior successfully climbing Mount Midoriyama, in Japan. Some 2700 have attempted but only three have been successful. Sorry to be more reserved in my expectations, but, sometimes we have to face up to the reality we have to work with, not the one we would like to see. With that news, I will say farewell for today and remind us all that God is the final decision maker in all things. We can count on Him! Amen. ....More later.

No comments: