Thursday, January 16, 2014

"I want to force the other drivers to find a way past me." ~ Jeff Gordon

Happy Thursday to one and all, on this January 16, 2014. I know most of you are aware that I often make my own feeble attempt to write satire. Some folks appreciate the humor and others, well, not so much. The wife conceded how the little ditty I wrote about changing the channels on my satellite radio while driving would have brought a smile to many, essentially, she thought it not to be very funny at all. See what I mean? Maybe it was that time when she reminded me that I had veered over into the other lane with an 18 wheeler bearing down on us. That was just a figure of speech as a metaphor to represent her concerns voiced at different times. She even has a problem with me riding on those little bumpety bumpety bump thingies that warn you about getting out of your lane. I've tried to explain that someone needs to try them out from time to time, and after all is said and done, they are there for a reason. Pretty straight forward and logical as I see it. She did, however, admit to a little laugh about the punch served at the Sunday School party but for the rest of it, to her, it wasn't even close to being one bit plum funny. I've been around long enough to know when she interjects the 'plum' word, it's time for me to tread lightly. That's why, as you can tell, I've pretty much stayed quiet about the whole thing.

Our Sunday morning Bible study time has been spent recently working our way through the Book of the Revelation of Jesus Christ. Many people steer clear of this great text because they feel only specialized experts can handle the text. That has always seemed odd to me. The letter itself was addressed to seven local New Testament called out assemblies or congregations. These congregations all had locations where they met. That's the recipients of the letter. That would be folks like ourselves with pastors, elders, and deacons serving alongside regular members. The message of the letter brings consolation and hope to those who serve the Lord faithfully regardless of the difficulties that may be involved. Sure, there are many symbolic images portrayed in the visions that God gave to the Apostle John. And that is why many people run from it. It's clear that with God's help given through the promised enlightenment of the Holy Spirit, these texts were relevant to common ordinary servants when they first received it and heard it read, and it is relevant to common ordinary servants today. It is the only writing in the New Testament that has a specific promised blessing for those who take in its message: "Blessed is he who reads and those who hear the words of this prophecy, and keep those things which are written in it; for the time is near." (The Revelation of Jesus Christ, Chapter 1, Verse 3)

I do not mean to imply that this study is easy because it does require diligence to evaluate the symbolic images that portray the reality of the coming ultimate victory as well as the judgments that will characterize the end times. It's purpose is to encourage and motivate faithfulness in the daily living of those who name the name of Jesus. It also sets before us the certainty of the judgments that, not if, but that will come to those who reject the salvation freely given by God through His Son the Lord Jesus Christ. Yes. It is a sobering message but one worth taking in and making its reality a part of the truth we live by. Okay. That should end my little sermonette for today. I commend you to your own individual searching out of these great truths. Take care and make the best of the day we have before us, remembering to give God the glory for it all. Amen.      ....More later.

No comments: