Wednesday, June 26, 2013

"This snowcone is giving me a brain sneeze. It's when your brain needs to sneeze, but it caint cause its a brain, so it just hurts" Si Robertson

Wednesday, June 26, 2013, and I'm beginning to be just slightly annoyed. I guess some folks enjoy being confused with a popular TV character but in this case, I'm not so sure it's a compliment. It's happened now three or four times. The most recent was the other day at the grocery store and there I was minding my own business, just me and my buggy, when I rounded the corner and a lady was talking on her cell phone. She said, "What am I doing? You mean right at this moment. Well, right now I just happen to be looking at this old dude who reminds me a whole lot of that Uncle Si Robertson fellow on TV." I hope she didn't think my hearing was bad. She was trying to avoid staring directly at me but it was very obvious who she was talking about. I took the photo of myself using the webcam camera on my PC. I had to find a utility that would allow me to use it for that purpose. I did, therefore, you are looking at a very recent photo of me, minding my own business, sitting at my desk. I found the one of Uncle Si on the internet. In this case I will do what Fox News says they do, "I report, you decide." And, I'll leave you with another one of The Unk's good sayings, "Work hard. Nap Hard. Hey, that's what I always say, Jack."

It's all in fun folks, all in fun. Us older folks enjoy a smile now and then. Most of the time we can sure come up with plenty of self induced comedy played out as we try to make the best of it each day. Here's a little story that reflects the premise behind many jokes. ~ An older woman was arrested for shoplifting at a grocery store. When she appeared before the judge, the judge asked what she had taken. The lady replied, "A can of peaches." The judge then asked why she had done it. She replied, "I was hungry and forgot to bring any cash to the store." The judge asked how many peaches were in the can. She replied, "Nine." The judge said, "Well then, I'm going to give you nine days in jail--one day for each peach." As the judge was about to drop his gavel, the lady's husband raised his hand and asked if he might speak. The judge said, "Yes, what do you have to add?" The husband said, "Your honor, she also stole a can of peas." ~ He must have been a very civic minded person.

That was a made up story, of course, but, most of the time life itself gives us plenty of irony. My nephew is a motorcycle enthusiast. Yesterday he put up a brief tribute on Facebook to a lady who had passed away. I clicked on her name and there she was, a sweet looking older lady, white hair glistening, standing by her motorcycle. Here's the thing that caught my eye. Her last entry from the middle of June said she had won an upgrade in a jackpot game she had played. That struck me as being appropriate, especially for those of us who are anticipating a big upgrade when we breathe our last here and open our eyes in the presence of our Lord and Savior. That, my friend, is a day worth waiting for! Meanwhile, folks want to be popular here. In fact, there's a big push to gain followers on twitter. I read where one young pop sensation had accumulated 37 million followers but it was found out that over half of them were fake. One music critic commented that the sad part of that story is how that it means that nearly half of them are real. And so it goes, it's a tough world folks. Tough indeed! But take heart. Jesus had this to say about it, "These things I have spoken to you, so that in Me you may have peace. In the world you have tribulation, but take courage; I have overcome the world." (John 16:33) He's also the one who takes care of that upgrade for all those willing to come to Him. Until next time, may the good Lord bless and keep you. Amen.  ...More later.

No comments: