Tuesday, June 4, 2013

"Prayer reminds me it's not just about me. It's about all the people with whom I share this planet, and all of whom God has created, and all of whom he cares just as much about as he cares about me." Mike Huckabee

We meet again. Hello and welcome. It's Tuesday, June 4, 2013. I thank each one who paused to say a prayer for the Houston firefighter who continues to be very critical. Our friend and dear brother in Christ posted this note on Facebook yesterday about his firefighter brother, (Captain William Dowling): "We are now coming to the end of the third day of Bill’s battle for life. There have been difficulties, but today we are ending on a positive note. Bill is maintaining his blood pressure on his own, he opened his eyes for Mary, and he turned his head to look at Faith. God has continued to show up big in Bill’s life. What about your life? For all of you brothers in arms, friends, and family has God showed big in your life? We all have the difficulties of sin, but God showed up big on the cross of Christ and now our battle for life is already won. Has God shown up big in your life? Solus Christus" Those final words are Latin for Christ Alone. Our friend also preaches when he can and you have to love his concern, not just for his brother but for others as well. Our prayers continue on their behalf. Amen


I am a little apprehensive today. I have an eye appointment with the ophthalmologist. The email reminder said: Extended Consultation. I know what that means. That will include that strobe laser photo mapping system where they check out that little spot that could be an early indication of something called Diabetic Retinopathy. Why apprehensive? This test requires my full attention and cooperation. As if that's not enough, it also requires that I stay completely still. It requires that I hold back on blinking my eyes for entire seconds at a time. Just thinking about it makes me shake like Don Knotts doing that nervous speaker routine where he couldn't hold a glass of water without sloshing it. Maybe not that dramatic, but, it should make for an interesting morning. I told the wife that I was going to ask for a substitute technician because when the doctor does it she gets too up tight about me being unable to do all of the above on command. Maybe I should have quit after that fourth cup of Community. Are you kidding? I'm already worrying about having to do that when I have my six months check up in a few days. How much can one man stand?

'The Wife' with our nephew, Byron.
Maybe I need to find an eye doctor that puts you to sleep. I think they have dentists that do that. You do know that I am exaggerating, don't you? Okay. The truth. Just a little, and I'm not proud to say that it really is a difficult challenge. Maybe I would do better if they didn't tell me what not to do. Oh well. We all have our moments. I just wish that on some days they wouldn't come so close together. I know some of you all too well. You are thinking already that the doctor is the one who needs prayer. Well. Thank you very much! Our nephew who rebuilt our home after Hurricane Ike is now working on a project and he is officed in La Porte, Texas. This past Saturday we met him for a birthday supper to honor his 50th year on the planet. I remember having to compete with him as a little dude when we were dating. Anytime we were around their family my girlfriend had to be holding Byron. I think they called her a perfect little mother. That turned out to be a fitting prophetic word. Fifty years. Seems impossible. And, that's the sentiment my doctor will most likely be thinking soon: Seems impossible! Have a great Tuesday and may God bless each one. Amen.          .....More later.

No comments: