Wednesday, March 6, 2013

"The Bermuda Triangle got tired of warm weather. It moved to Alaska. Now Santa Claus is missing." Steven Wright


I hear those moans and groans. Therefore, I promise to back off my preoccupied rantings over all things political. Just for the record, I had to erase about five sentences because just mentioning that word got me off and running again. But, here we are, still blessed to be a part of this wonderful country, still able to recognize and serve the God who in His providence gave us the life we have, and it's Wednesday, March 6, 2013, and it's a very good day to rise and shine and give God the glory. Little things. That's right. Little things that make a difference. I was visiting the other day with a retired fellow who exemplifies the use of his time and resources in a way that honors God and helps others. He is building a second home in a different state and the barn on his new property will have a canning kitchen. He has already bought the equipment. He has a cousin who is very poor and he has been trying to convince her to let him install her old stove for his barn so she can have the new one for her house. She cooks a lot. A small thing. He also mentioned that he has a grade school buddy whose daughter has been here from out of state for the past six weeks while being treated for cancer. He said he had let them stay in his home here. A small thing. He wasn't bragging or building himself up. It was just a part of the conversation. Small things that do make a difference and I say Amen to that!

Moody. That's how I call it. Moody. The weather, that is. This past Sunday morning I had ice, yep, ice, on my windshield. Monday we had some of those March gale force winds but the temperature hit right at 80 degrees. This morning we are back in the mid 30's. Moody. But, I'm thankful for the opportunity to wear a jacket and sit and enjoy sipping my Community. That wind. It does dry things out. In a hurry. In fact, we have already been under a fire alert because of the dry and windy conditions. Sadly, over the past few seasons we've been conditioned to look in a longing way for any sign of rain that might be headed our way. The old joke attributed to Mark Twain does apply. "Everybody talks about the weather, but nobody does anything about it." And, he was so right and as you can tell I do my fair share of jawing about it too. I will tell you that every little cool snap makes me feel like we've been given a handful on purpose because I dread those coming days when it's so hot and the air is so heavy we all have to take turns breathing. That tells me we need to inhale deeply and enjoy it while we can!

I believe the word is blustery. I'm talking about the wind whirling around, not my daily attempts to slap words onto the electronic page. My wife doesn't care for the political stuff but yesterday she sent me a note about the budgetary mess I wrote about and she said she felt like she had learned something. That made me feel good because one of the ways those folks operate is to confuse and conflate to the point that most of us just tune it all out. Guess what? They don't. But, I promised not to go down that road today so let me see if I stir up a closing anecdote that might end our visit with a warm handshake and a smile. I love my rural upbringing and here's a little story for you: "Paul, a jogger, is running down a country road and is startled when a horse yells at him, 'Hey, come over here buddy.' Paul is stunned but still runs over to the fence where the horse is standing and asks, 'Were you talking to me?' The horse replies, 'Sure was, man I've got a problem. I won the Kentucky Derby a few years ago and this farmer bought me and now all I do is pull a plough and I'm sick of it. Why don't you run up to the house and offer him $5,000 to buy me. I'll make you some money because I can still run.' Paul thought to himself, 'Wow, a talking horse.' Dollar signs started appearing in his head. So he runs to the house and the old farmer is sitting on the porch. Paul tells the farmer, 'Hey man I'll give you $5,000 for that old broken down nag you've got in the field.' The farmer replies, 'Son you can't believe anything that horse says. He's never even been to Kentucky.' Have a good Tuesday and may the good Lord take a liking to you and yours. Amen.      ....More later.

No comments: