Monday, April 9, 2012

I suppose we could call a chicken crossing the road poultry in motion. Right?

Welcome back. It's Monday, April 9, 2012. Blessed. That's how we feel. We had a most wonderful three days off and while we were exceptionally busy, we enjoyed a tremendous remembrance of our Lord's Resurrection on Sunday, a wonderful feast with family Sunday afternoon, and all the this, that, and the other that went into making it all so very special. And, yes, along the way we had grandchildren sleep overs and even had our little great grand for one night. We also were able to attend a beautiful musical about the Lord's passion last Friday evening. We were not what you would call resting over the three days but we were refreshed in all the activities and wonderful things God allowed us to be a part of. My wife did concede that there was a time when we could do these things without the aches and pains that follow. But, that, my friend, comes with the territory and we consider them to be a small price for the memories made. It is, however, good to also be back into the work week where we will seek to return to the scene of the previous activities and get back up to speed as soon as we can. I also thank God that dad is much better and mom is still thanking her Lord for her good reports. Sounds like we have discovered easy street where everything comes up roses all the time? Don't even try to go there. Just because we are thanking God for the blessings, we, you, us, everyone, has challenges and we are not immune my friend, no, we are not immune. But, it is a good day, this Monday, to pause and reflect on how that God made our sense of being blessed based on His provisions to us and for that we give Him honor and praise. Amen.

The moon was shining bright this morning and I had my car windows down with an invigorating crisp, cool breeze blowing in. It was only in the low 60's here, therefore, it wasn't that cool, but it was very pleasant. I was not the only one enjoying the morning. I'm not sure where the buffalo were roaming but the Whitetail Deer were out in force today. Perhaps it was family day because it appeared they were all standing near the road including moms, dads, and the little ones. I love nature as much as the next person. But, traveling roadways where the deer can show up at anytime, well, that will keep you on your toes. The other day I rounded a curve and there were a couple of them laying down in some tall grass about three feet off the road. Now wait just a cotton picking minute. I think those had become a little too familiar with their surroundings, if you ask me. One of my goals each morning is to make sure that while I may have a deer in the headlights look on my face, I am trying my best to make sure I don't have the actual deer on my headlights. That sounds like a real bummer to you? Let me tell you what it beats, hands down, every single day. That commute into the downtown metroplex! I did that for nearly 24 years and let me tell you nearly every moment of every ride in or out was a near miss. In fact, the other day at the NASCAR race the driver described a big wreck by saying it happened because four cars tried to fit themselves into a lane where only two would fit. I thought to myself, if I had not been watching the race, that could have well described what goes on every second out on I-45. See what I mean?

Yes, our little great grand, Madelyn Joy, did spend the night with us on Friday. She is a character. She can also be a handful. She very much super likes her MiMi but that is not a deterrent to me. I do not give up so easily. One of the things she will let me do with her is to take her outside. That's what we did on Saturday morning. She was out on our driveway using chalk to draw and scribble. I don't make this stuff up folks. Me sitting there watching her was nothing short of a time lapse replay from over twenty years before when her mom, our Tiffany, was on that same spot doing the same thing. That put a huge lump in Poppy's throat. I was struck by her little carbon copy image of her mom but also by the fact that God had allowed me the privilege of experiencing that moment. I know. Us older folks tend to slip and slide around in our sentimentality. But, maybe it is earned. At any rate, the wife is all retired now, and so far she hasn't had time to catch her breath. She has been one busy lady. Much of it has been what we call 'good busy'. And one day soon I will rehearse the meal she spread out for us on Sunday. I had figured I would be eating leftovers this week. I figured wrong. It was that good. Good enough to put me on another true confessions diet this week to try and get my act together again. You know, diabetic numbers, and all of that stuff. It does seem like my Monday commitment to get back on track is becoming a frequent habit these days. I'll have to look into that. Meanwhile, go out there and have yourself a wonderful day, and don't forget to thank God for His provisions! Amen.    ....More later.

No comments: