Friday, July 29, 2011

Paying tribute to our dad!

Our beloved dad, Happy Birthday!
Today is Friday, July 29, 2011. I am officially on a one day of vacation holiday. Later on today we will be headed over to our old stomping grounds, as they say, or maybe as some say, in that rarefied air, there in our little town where I grew up, Hornbeck, Louisiana. The spell checker on this blogger utility always flags Hornbeck because it doesn't recognize it. You would think it would be a little more intelligent than that, wouldn't you? We are going over to visit mom and dad and to pay tribute to dad who will be celebrating the 81st anniversary of his birth date this coming Monday, August 1. Dad has been a foundation for our family for these many years. During my brother's illness and subsequent passing, dad was there around the clock for mom and the rest of us. That's the way it has been from day one. He joined up with a family filled with diversity and challenge but he has been more than up to it, and we thank God for him and his faithfulness. As a town alderman he has helped our little hometown to prosper these many years. He has always looked after the town's interest based on a citizen's point of view. What is in the best interest of the citizens, not only now, but also with a perspective towards the future? We could use some folks in government who understands that concept better than most of them show today.

My wife has been off this week and that means each night I have come in to a home cooked meal. A body could get used to that. Know what I mean? One night she made us a breakfast supper and those homemade biscuits were so perfectly delicious, they would have so shamed Betty Crocker she would have had to leave the country in embarrassment for even mentioning the word biscuit. Sorry Betty but sometimes the truth does sting a little. Know what I mean? Hearing folks brag on store bought stuff and trying to convince others it tastes like homemade is one of my pet peeves. I've had to confront a few about this with a challenge: "You obviously have never tasted homemade by Granny Mac, my Mom, Mom Rawles, or my dear wife." That's usually enough to at least back down their bravado a notch or two. It is not gloating when it is nothing more than a clear statement of the facts, and that's all I have to say about it.

I do hope you have a wonderful Saturday and Lord's Day Sunday. Having missed Friday I will have to report early to be retrained since the only retention I tend to do well with these days is water retention. Water retention. It's supposed to be a joke. It's okay to laugh or maybe at least a little chuckle. Until next time may God bless each one. Amen.      .....More later.

No comments: