Wednesday, June 3, 2009

It's hard to be serious when you are laughing so much!

My wife read yesterday’s blog and sent me a message telling me how funny she thinks I am. I called her and told her that I had not intended on it being funny but she laughed even more while we were talking. I’m beginning to understand Rodney Dangerfield’s dilemma more and more. Where does a fellow go to get respect on a Wednesday morning, June 3, 2009? Hey, I love it that she can still smile at some of my silliness. Humor in a marriage is crucial if you are going to make it for forty-five years! She has always been a fan of mine in most of the things I have tried to accomplish. She reads my lessons and encourages me. She even told me once when I had received a huge promotion that she thought that it wasn’t bad for a ‘Hornbeck boy’. (That’s the small Louisiana town where I grew up. She was officially from Anacoco which was a rival community just a few miles away.)

I suppose it could be worse. I know some folks who hardly ever find much to laugh about and they wouldn’t think of laughing at each other. How sad! Just the other day she misplaced her cell phone and instructed me to call it when I got home and try to locate it. I did and it took me to the bathroom but I couldn’t find it. I could hear it but couldn’t find it. I looked all around but it was not out in the open. I left and went into the hallway and bedroom but each time I could faintly hear it in the bathroom. I finally began opening drawers and cabinets until I located it. She had finished doing her make up and put everything back into her bag and stuffed the cell phone inside and zipped it up. She literally fell out just hearing me tell about me trying to find it. It wasn’t that funny. What about her sticking it in the makeup bag? Wasn’t that supposed to be the punch line?

We are blessed to be able to laugh at our lapses and trip ups together. They seem to be on the increase for both of us, therefore, I assume we will be living in our own homemade sitcom going forward. I’ve always loved Jackie Gleason in the Honeymooners, also the show featuring George Burns and Gracie Allen and the one starring Ozzie and Harriet. Those programs were written, rehearsed, and then presented. Ours is spontaneous with neither of us ever knowing when the next laugh line will come. Life is tough and we have had and will continue to have our moments of friction and fighting. Fortunately, these have become less often and further apart as we have learned to live based on the big picture and that includes a good bit of laughter along the way. Instead of love and marriage maybe the song should have added laughter to the mix because it is essential as we deal with all the stuff that flies around and at us each day. May God help each one to find something that will bring a smile even as we thank Him for His blessings! Amen. ...More later.

No comments: