Thursday, August 22, 2019

“...what thrills me about trains is not their size or their equipment but the fact that they are moving, that they embody a connection between unseen places.” ― Marianne Wiggins

Okay. We continue the journey. It's Thursday, August 22, 2019, and we are still staying in the elevation level of between 6000 and 7600 feet above sea level. (Trinidad, 6010', Alamoso, 7543' and Taos, NM 6969') The wife said she thinks her sinus issues are in much better shape. Being the realist, I asked her if she thought they would still be doing well when she was on the roof trying to get the snow off before everything caved in. I am always trying to help. Can someone tell me where Falling Rock is located? Everywhere you go there are signs, but, I am yet to find the place. It must be a popular place but maybe only certain folks know how to get there. Another conundrum to ponder. I do think I had the same question when I was driving a rental car through mountainous terrain on the other side of the country. Same deal. Lots of signs but I never actually saw the exit. Maybe this is one for the Twilight Zone.

We did do the train ride. I didn't know what to expect, but, it turned out to be quite an adventure. I had pre-ordered the tickets and purchased the best ones available. I wanted it to be good for the wife. She road a train in Northern England when we were there. There wasn't much to it. We boarded and it ran up and around long enough to serve us what they said was a proper English dinner. Roast beef and some veggies and a hot roll. The tables had nice cloths on them and nice silverware. The food may have been proper and memorable for those who live there, it was very forgettable in terms of taste and quality. On this most recent excursion, I did my best to make sure we got the best available. The coach was in great shape. The brunch meal was very tasteful. We even had a 30 minute rain shower on our way back. And, the train ride itself, well, since I had next to no expectations, I will share my riding partner's thoughts about our day: "It was wonderful, absolutely wonderful!" I'll take that, any day! Amen.

I so appreciate all the well wishes that have been expressed on our behalf with regards to us making this short getaway trip. I am always slightly puzzled by so many who say we really need it or they talk about how much we deserve it. I do know it is sincere and well-intentioned because the folks being so kind are genuinely just that, kind, and sweet. I hope it's not because we look like we are about to go crazy most of the time. I actually hope we don't look that way. You know. Too tightly wound. We don't feel anymore stresses than most folks and lets be honest here, the wife will travel at the drop of a hat. I love to do it but I typically yield to the call of my stay-at-home inclinations. I am a homebody. I guess I actually enjoy my routine. Yes. I am aware how a routine can become a rut which is really nothing more than a grave with the ends kicked out. We are having a great time. We have enjoyed our time together. We've seen some interesting sights and even more interesting people. You will no doubt be hearing some about all of this in my blogging venture. I am so grateful to have such good support from so many wonderful people. As the NASCAR winner always says when asked about the fans, "Y'all are the greatest! Y'all rock!" Or, something like that. Take care and may God bless each one. Amen. .....More later.

No comments: