Tuesday, April 3, 2018

“I really didn't foresee the Internet. But then, neither did the computer industry. Not that that tells us very much of course--the computer industry didn't even foresee that the century was going to end.” ― Douglas Adams

I should be a little better put together today, however, in my case, that would always be subject to debate, and in the eye of the beholder. However, suffice to say, I am back on my regular schedule and I didn't lose 20 minutes this morning, on this Tuesday, April 3, 2018. I'm letting you know that ahead of time so you can judge the level of cooperation I'm getting from my gray cells on this, the 2,781st episode. I did get a notice from Yahoo Mail saying someone had tried to log into my email from Vietnam. Really? Fortunately, they were not able to do so. These hackers work on a 24x7 basis. First, they get your email, then they are able to get your contacts. It's all about mining data where there just might be able to get some account information and passwords. Many of them write programs that run around the clock trying to get someone's information. It's the world we live in. In this most recent attempted intrusion, the Yahoo response said that access was not authorized from that particular application. I'm glad it wasn't. I worked in computing long enough to know there are always individuals smart enough to get around almost any controls that may be in place. I had some of those people working for me and there were times when they had to beat the system in order to fix a problem. There wasn't supposed to be a backdoor into the system. There are always backdoors. The people I worked with were not inclined to use their expertise in a criminal activity. Sadly, there are many who not only willing but, that is their fulltime job. Beware.

During the most recent commemoration of Passion Week, the wife and I caught several of the televised portrayals supposedly in support of the Bible depiction of the life and times of Jesus, the Jewish Messiah, and Savior of the world. Many of these are adaptations. It's refreshing to hear the wife volunteer that what we are seeing on the screen is not what is written in the Bible. While there may not be anything wrong with attempting to create a narrative to support the depiction, often the stories told conflict with the truths from the written Word of God. We watched some of the "King of Kings" movie, starring Jeffrey Hunter and a cast of recognized actors. Mr. Hunter is known for his portrayal of the blue-eyed Jesus. We watched it for about 30 minutes but the obvious disconnects from the biblical record became annoying to the both of us and we changed the channel. Some would say that we are being too critical or perhaps they might question why it really matters. I counter that with this response. If the Bible is clear, why not write the scene exactly the way the Bible depicts it? When it's all said and done, it does matter to us. And, if we are interested in watching something, we can always watch reruns of the TV oldies on the MeTV Channel.

Madi and her great grand, a couple of years ago.
Life is about transitions and reflections and days defined as good, indifferent, and challenging. This past Sunday as our family gathered to enjoy our time of feasting and fellowship I was struck by the memories of how God has blessed throughout our sojourn here. Our first grand, Tiffany, turns 30 later this week. She wasn't feeling well and wasn't able to with us on Sunday but her little clone, Madelyn Joy was there to represent her. I actually do not know how some kids pick up so much of their parent's looks and ways, while others seem to be very different, but, in our Madi-girl's case, it is, as Yogi Berra would say, deja vu all over again every time we are with her. She has so many instinctive responses that take us back to when her mom was running up and down our stairs. It's uncanny to me, but, it's also such a blessing in so many ways. Tiffany was our first and we fell hard when she came along. I had a very nice executive office at the company where I worked, but, it was plastered with photos of our first grandchild. Madi can be so funny. She and I have a little routine we do. When I can't stand it anymore I ask her, "Do you know who you remind me of?" She looks at me with that slightly exasperated look and says, "Yes I do, my mom!" I realize Madi has her own traits as well, but, us old folks are sensitive to the things that remind us of days gone by. Yeah. Days gone by. The good ones. The good old days. Like I say, I am thankful for these reruns. They are actually much better than the ones on the MeTV Channel. Take care now, you hear? May God bless us all is my prayer. Amen. ....More later.

No comments: