Thursday, October 5, 2017

Happy 52nd Birthday to our Chris

That's our Chris standing in the back, our Rodney on the left, yours truly, and our Jimmy.
Today is Thursday, October 5, 2017, and since it is the 5th of October, it is my privilege to recognize the birthday of our eldest, Chris, born 52 years ago. We are very thankful for Chris and his testimony for the Lord. He is a teacher of God's Word, a husband, dad, and grandfather. He has been successful in his chosen business profession and we know that to be by the grace of God. We typically visit by phone each day on our way home from work. We pretty much settle most of the world's problems, talk about politics, and often go forth and back on a particular Bible passage. We thank God for him and his family. Happy Birthday, Son, and may God continue to bless. Our love, mom and dad.

I've heard it already. In that photo, I look like maybe they had checked me out of the home. It was taken a few years ago. I can tell by the placement of those suspender stays that things have changed since then. They no longer are close to my shirt pocket. I actually didn't want to explain that but I knew some would wonder what I was talking about. I guess that thing they wrote on our car at our wedding was prophetic. "Watch Louisiana grow!" Maybe it was a curse because the growing part has continued. Speaking of change, let me catch you up on my latest go-round with this new diabetic medication. It is in a family of drugs designated as sulfonylureas. One of the number one side effects is weight gain. I've hit the jackpot with that one. Too much, too quickly. I've exchanged messages with my doctor and he said that perhaps we will need to do something different. (You think?) I have started cutting the already tiny little pill in half because I don't want to totally lose the progress I've made in lowering my blood glucose numbers. Life. No one said it would be easy. At least I have something to blame for my weight gain. Sadly, it isn't connected to overeating the wonderful foods I love so much. Oh well, we get up each day, and most of us do our own version of trial and error. You know what I am talking about. It hurts when I do that. Well, don't do that!

Maybe the next stop will be one of those wonder drugs advertised on TV. Our health plan doesn't like to prescribe anything other than generic unless it is absolutely necessary. Some of the fine print indicates a really insignificant impact on the management of diabetes, but, that doesn't stop the ads from being on every channel and especially on those channels watched by older folks. (I will not go into how they know, but, I can assure you they do.) Of course, these wonder drug ads are competing head-on with ads from law firms that want to seek damages on your behalf for using those very same drugs. The beauty of capitalism. Do we live in a great country, or what? They might be able to lower advertising costs by joining forces and combining the ads. "We have a cure for your problem and if it doesn't work here's the number of someone who will sue us on your behalf." Okay. I am just having a little fun with this. And, it does break the monotony of watching that guy patch his boat with some super strong tape maybe six or seven times during the same show. I've probably divulged too much of my viewing demographic data but at this stage, as seen on TV doesn't really do that much for me. Does anyone know the number for Conundrums Anonymous? Thanks for showing up today for my PSA. (Public Service Announcement) I had to look it up the first time I saw someone post it, so don't be concerned if you didn't immediately recognize what it was. Enjoy the rest of your day, and may God add His blessings to us all. Amen. ....More later..

No comments: