Tuesday, November 10, 2015

“I like people watching. My favorite places are cemeteries. Tell your great grandpa I said hi next time you see him.” ― Jarod Kintz, Author

Good morning and welcome to Tuesday, November 10, 2015. In just a short two weeks we will be all suited up for a two day series as Santa and Mrs. Claus at the annual Jr. League market extravaganza. We did one short day of promotional shots with kids at the professional photographer a couple of weeks ago. We have 5 appearances scheduled with her this year. Those will be intense since they will be trying to get between 8 and 10 unique poses for a photo book offering. I noticed something the morning I did those promotional shots. I was very tired when we finished. I was actually sore. Since then I have been trying to walk more and do what I can to get ready for the season. This past Saturday I went to the big mall to walk. I walked the entire mall three times. It was before working hours but the mall people were trickling in to get their day started. We all are different. Some of us are more different than others. I suppose one thing I can never get used to is those who appear to still be half asleep stumbling their way to their appointed duty station. Different. Also those who choose to keep their happy face, their smile, and their welcome to themselves until the bell rings. Those jewelry store people are something else. They look at you like they think you might attack them while they are unlocking their door and when you speak they flip up their nose so much you're hoping it doesn't rain and drown them. I can assure you of this. If I walk into their store with my American Express card sticking out of my pocket they will swarm onto me like bees on honey. These are but a few throw down observations from my three laps. You can see quite a bit. If you are watching.

Yesterday morning I sat here at my home away from home workstation with the door wide open. It was around 50 degrees at 4:30 a.m. and I couldn't help but have a sense of thankfulness for the hot black Community and the refreshing cool air. What a combination! I know it's only a simple pleasure but I think those can be the best. When we can move from the wish I had this, that, or the other to enjoying what we do have, well, that's a good way to go. Maybe I should write that down. I know. I just did. Sometimes we fail to appreciate the superb quality surrounding us. I read about a middle aged fellow dressed in frumpy looking clothes on the subway playing a violin. He played for 45 minutes. He played classical music pieces. Most paid him little attention. A few threw in a buck or two along the journey and at the end of his concert he had collected $32 in his violin case. Turns out this little concert was a sort of test conducted by the Washington Post. The violinist was a recognized living legend. The violin he used was valued at $3.5 million dollars. The music he played was some of the most complex and intricate scores ever written. He had recently played in a local concert hall where tickets were over $100 each. It had been sold out for multiple performances. I don't know what that tells us but I thought about it as I was sharing my little tidbit about Community and cool fresh air. I think I played mine in the key of C. Male trio. Me, myself, and I. Acapella. Yep.

You think I might be moving towards becoming eccentric? Let me think about that one for a moment. The word itself means a person or their behavior that is unconventional or slightly strange. Synonyms include: unconventional, uncommon, abnormal, irregular, aberrant, anomalous, odd, queer, strange, peculiar, weird, bizarre, outlandish, freakish, and extraordinary. While there's a lot to choose from on that menu I'm not sure I measure up to that definition. I'll go with different for now and just keep on doing whatever it is that I do. One thing I am certain of and that is how I continue to be a work in progress. I believe the children's song best reflects this work. "He's still working on me to make me what I ought to be." Talk about a work in progress! But, I'm thankful He hasn't given up on me and as Dr. Stanley puts it, "He's working to make us an object of notable excellence so that we reflect honor and glory back to Him." That's not an exact quote but it does reflect some of what I heard him say maybe twenty or more years ago. He was commenting on that passage from Ephesians Chapter 2, "For we are His workmanship, created in Christ Jesus for good works, which God prepared beforehand so that we would walk in them." (Verse 10) As you can see I have a long way to go but not that long to get there. I actually think I know what that means. That's scary. Have a great rest of the day and may God bless us all is my prayer. Amen. ....More later.

No comments: