Tuesday, August 4, 2015

"I know the world isn't fair, but why isn't it ever unfair in my favor?" ~ Bill Watterson, Cartoonist, 'Calvin and Hobbes'

I suppose we all like to see the other fellow's parade rained on. You don't? Well, good for you. It's Tuesday, August 4, 2015, and I'm thinking about the latest kerfuffle involving the Houston Astros versus Taylor Swift. They had a Taylor Swift concert scheduled for early October at the venue where the Astros play. But, something very unexpected happened. The team they have loved to call the Last-tros for years have been good this year. Really good. Good enough that many believe they will make the major league playoffs. Therefore, the Taylor Swift concert had to be moved by a few days. How dare the Astros do this to Taylor Swift fans. Those fans immediately began to swamp and melt down all the social media outlets. Maybe the Astros could be moved to another city. Maybe they could resign from the playoffs. It's not fair. They are ruining the lives of so many people. Sorry. But, I just happen to think this little story to be very interesting and very amusing. I'm glad the baseball team is doing well. I'm glad they had some real stars who played in the all-star game this year. You know, it was different, not the usual obligatory mandatory one person chosen so that every team would have at least one player. That was kind of neat. I don't doubt that some in the Taylor Swift fandom will be inconvenienced and they may have to change their travel arrangements and other details. Hello? It's called life. Deal with it! Go Astros!

I do know what some of you are thinking. This is the sentiment of an individual who will likely never have any inclination to attend a Taylor Swift concert. I do not know how you guessed that but you definitely are entitled to pass Go. As for collecting your $200, well, that will have to be suspended for future consideration. Is it still $200? It may now be $2,000 or $20,000 for all I know. I've what? You think I've figured out how to alienate both Taylor Swift fans and Monopoly purists all in the same blog? I don't know if you score that a double or a single with a passed ball but I'll take it. Thanks. Lighten up a little folks. I'm just having a little fun. That's all. It's like some of those famous Murphy's Laws. ~ "Tell a man there are 300 billion stars in the universe and he'll believe you. Tell him a bench has wet paint on it and he'll have to touch it to be sure." ~ And maybe this one is for me: "If anything can go wrong, it will!" I sure hope that makes us all feel better. 


The estimated number of jobs cut in the energy sector is now up to 150,000. The early cut backs were cheered by the public since the price at the pump was lower than it has been in years. Now we have new cutbacks being announced each week BUT the price for a gallon of gasoline is creeping back up. I've seen this story before. Many times. So many think those folks now looking for jobs are all fat cats but those who think this really don't have a clue. Do you think the executives are the ones being laid off? Think again Bucko! It's more likely the moms and dads you see with their kids at the ballpark. (One example: I saw an article about a young petrochemical engineer who has been out of work since last October. She needs to work. She has a small child. Her husband is a wounded warrior.) Our entire area depends on energy to sustain our economy. Sure. The politicians love to talk about diversification but oil is still in the driver's seat. I'm thankful our little company here has done pretty good during this transitional period. I see other small companies every single day that are holding on by a thread, doing everything they can to stay afloat. The experts talk about the trickle down impact but those waiting for orders so they can build products call it nothing less than their survival. I saw last week where Shell announced 6500 new layoffs. They believe the price per barrel will be back at $90 by the end of the next three years. But, until then, their shareholders have to be taken care of. Good times for some. Tough times for others. But it's always a time to look to God for His help. Always. Amen. ....More later.

No comments: