Thursday, December 13, 2012

"Elections should be held on April 16th - the day after we pay our income taxes. That is one of the few things that might discourage politicians from being big spenders." Thomas Sowell

Where are those who will lead?
Good Thursday morning. It's December 13, 2012, and we are getting closer and closer. This time I'm not talking about Christmas. I'm talking about the cliff. The one they call the fiscal cliff. That's the cliff where we get flung into the taxation abyss. The federal government does not have enough money. There's only two ways to deal with this problem. Reduce spending so you don't need as much. Or, increase the amount coming in. Back when Congress was making waves about doing something about all of this, it came up with a scenario that would automatically trigger spending cuts and tax increases. That's the cliff. It will be reached January 1, 2013. Those who claim to be experts say that if these automatic measures become activated the results will be cataclysmic. Mayhem will ensue. The fragile economy will be decimated. They put this trigger mechanism in place to give incentive that would force the Executive Branch working with the Congress to come up with a comprehensive set of provisions to deal with our nation's massive deficits. Incentive. Force. So far, the more things change, it is the more they stay the same. Political posturing, finger pointing, grandstanding, and all other kinds of shenanigans rule the day. And, most people are sick of this program because they have seen it so many times and the reruns typically offer nothing new. My guess is that they will do something in the end, and, they will all claim victory while you and I and every other individual who pays taxes will be left holding the bag. As Joe Friday used to say: "Just the facts ma'am, just the facts". That is, as I see it, of course.

We did get a little taste of frost on the pumpkin the other day, especially Tuesday morning. Am I saying that I was actually cold? I wouldn't quite go that far but I will tell you that at 28 degrees, it didn't take me long to get all the buildings unlocked and ready for the day. It was slightly penetrating.  But, my oh my, what a beautiful morning it was. Cold and crisp. At 4:30 a.m., the sky was illuminated and you could have checked out all the constellations and more without a telescope. I suppose I am preprogrammed but when it is so clear and it looks like you could almost reach up and touch the Big Dipper, I always remember Abraham in the Bible. God told Abraham: "I will make your descendants as numerous as the stars in the sky..." Back in those days, Abraham would not have had all the pollution to cloud his vision of the night sky. The vastness of the starlit night would have been breathtaking. And, that's kind of how I felt when I looked up and saw the beautiful handiwork of our Great God. The 28 degrees helped me to be a smidgen quicker in my observation time but I will tell you this: It's not a bad way to start a day. Not bad at all my friend. Not bad at all.

My granddad used to tell me that being cold was mostly in my mind, well, the other morning, I do believe it had made the journey from my head into my hands.William Shakespeare said, "“What’s in a name? A rose is a rose by any other name.” Obviously he had not run into some of these Church names. Here's one: Accident Baptist Church located in Accident, Maryland. And, there's Half Way Baptist located in Missouri. There is a Little Hope Baptist and believe it or not, a No Hope Methodist Church. I kind of like this one: Original Church of God, Number Two. We could attend the Lover's Lane Episcopal service or if you've had your Wheaties we might try, Hell for Certain Baptist Church. Supposedly, there's a Harmony Baptist located in East Texas and that really sounds good and all but just 1/2 mile down the road there's a Harmony Baptist Number Two. Uh oh. Maybe disharmony would have been a better choice. Okay, I'll end with this one. In Boring, Oregon there's a Boring 7th Day Adventist Church. I've been in some pretty boring services myself. The kicker, if it's true, indicates that particular Church is led by a fellow named Elder Dull. Boring and Dull or Dull and Boring. You report I report and we will all just remain undecided. I sat beside my little bride to be for many services at New Hope Baptist. My buddies who didn't think I had much of a chance used to say I was going out to No Hope Baptist. Fifty years later I need to remind them that I won, or something like that. Have a good one and may God bless. Amen.     ....More later.

No comments: