Thursday, September 27, 2012

Where were you when the lights went out? Duh! In the dark, of course!

 ***Please say a prayer for my dear sweet mother. She has some really bad congestion and has been very prone to pneumonia over the years. She expects to see her doctor early this morning. Thanks.***

Okay. Let's see. Where were we when we were last visiting? I'm not sure. It is Thursday, however, and I do bid you welcome here on this September 27, 2012. During my little network outage on Tuesday morning I had to revert to old school. Without the internet my computer is basically crippled. At least that's how it works for me. Nearly every resource I access is online. From Bible tools to audio sermons, news, sports, weather, most music, and everything else imaginable, I am pretty much shut down when the internet is inaccessible. However, I do know how to open my Bible and read it again, for the first time. My word processor works without the internet so I can do myself some typing. I had some sample music in the default media player so I switched that on. So, there I sat, reading my Bible, listening to Beethoven, and typing in my thoughts and ideas into my word processor. For me it was like the old days when the power went out and we lit the kerosene lamp. We kids thought that was great fun. For about ten minutes. But, then we realized there would not be any Pinky Lee, Howdy Doody, or Roy Rogers. "Come on guys, get that power turned back on, and, oh yeah, hurry up please, every second you can!"

You know that old saying. You don't miss your one and only channel until the water runs dry. Or something like that. We did only have one channel back in the day. I find that I often like commercials a whole lot better than the company or product they are hyping. I love the ones from AT&T where the young guy is lamenting how much better kids have it today than he did just a few years ago. He did have 200 channels but they get to watch the shows on wireless even outside if they want to. At the end he and his grandfather are seen sitting in rocking chairs agreeing about how easy kids have it today. Like I say, I don't have any support for the product but I do enjoy that commercial. It works because we all have that tendency to wax poetic about how easy this generation has it versus yesterday's environment. I remember my boys playing the Atari game Pong on the screen and how remarkable we thought that was. Now kids have essentially virtual reality at their fingertips but even that seems to get old in a hurry. I can imagine the conversation between grandpa and grandson after the wheel was invented. Or something like that.

It is really sad to know that people are losing their lives because of a low budget movie that is very critical of the Prophet Mohammed, founder of the Muslim religion. Very sad. Our government officials have condemned this film and over and over again they have made it clear that we in this country do not denigrate anyone's religion. Is that really true? I see Christianity mocked everywhere you turn. On TV, in the movies, and especially by our government as they demand and push policies contrary to the teachings of the historic Christian faith. When someone who claims to be a Christian goes off the deep end, like the fellow did who recently attacked an abortion provider, well, they are called every detestable name in the book. Yet, when these people, in the name of the Muslim religion, maim and kill, they are apologized to, over and over again. Am I the only one who sees this huge disconnect from reality being played out before our very eyes?  Folks, I do hear more and more people using the term end times as they discuss all that's happening both near and far away. That gives us all something to think about as we seek God's help. Amen.            ......More later.

No comments: