Tuesday, June 12, 2012

Even with the mainstream media working fulltime on their behalf, they still can't make sure everyone is reading from their imposed script.

Hello and welcome. It is Tuesday, June 12, 2012. I suppose the medical folks must be licking their chops with all the new whiplash cases coming out of Washington D.C. I'm talking about what happens to anybody of prominence who are already on their side but they make the mistake of uttering an opinion of any kind on any subject that upsets the powers that be within the current administration. It's amazing how silly it looks for folks who say whatever it is that seems appropriate when answering a question, and then, BAM!, they are nearly knocked unconscious by whatever control mechanism this administration has over people, even former presidents, and next thing you hear is a bunch of mealy mouthed apologies, clarifications, restatements, and groveling to try and recover from whatever they said that was not to the liking of the President and his team. Often, the general public heard what was said, judged it as being pretty much the same as they saw it, but lo and behold, once these folks come out of the woodshed they have a completely new and different take to share. Looks silly. Looks childish. But, not funny at all as it relates to the future of our nation. I will have to say that I've not seen in my lifetime the muscle these folks apply in acting as puppeteers over any and all who would comment on how things are going. I guess the freedom of speech guaranteed to us all doesn't apply to those who might accidentally tell the truth as they see it. It's one of the sad but amazing sideshows we are witnessing in this election cycle.

I've not had a lot to say recently about all of these shenanigans, therefore, I like to reassure folks from time to time that I am still paying attention. Yesterday morning I walked out at just after 3:30 a.m. and it hit me. The combination of heat and humidity was an all too familiar preview of our summers here in these parts. It was like I could see those wavy heat lines coming off the asphalt but maybe my contacts were wrinkled. When I arrived at work I checked the vital statistics. At 4:15 a.m. it was 77 degrees with a feel like of 83. The high predicted was 97 with a feel like of 105. I would have hummed 'In the Good Old Summertime' but I couldn't find enough air to make a sound. It makes you feel heavy. It makes you feel just slightly annoyed. And, this is only early June. When it gets oppressive like this I turn to my trusty temperature map of the United States (lower 48). It gives the overnight lows all across our land. I spotted a 34 degree reading in Idaho. I then looked up the weather history records and found out that in Salmon, Idaho they tied a record Sunday night when they hit 34. Of course I then had to locate Salmon on a map. It is located on the east side of the mid section of the state not far from the Montana border. I don't know anyone who lives there but at least for a moment or two I tried to imagine how nice it would be to wake up to that temperature. What's that? It sounds like a lot of effort with very little results? Maybe. But, it does make me wonder about that guy up in Salmon who looked up our temperature and is sitting at his desktop wishing for our warmer weather. Poor soul. I will assure you that you do not have to be crazy to hang out with me, but, on the other hand, I never said it would be a bad idea.

Occasionally I have this sense of conviction that I should revisit the foods that should and should not be on my diabetic food list. One of the things that always puzzles me is how they portion out their recommendations. Who do you know that eats a 1/4 cup of anything? Maybe those white mice in their laboratories. I basically pay attention to the actual foods listed, not so much the eyedropper measurements used. I am a fruit eater. Most of the fruits I eat are on the recommended list. That's a pretty good thing for a diabetic, in moderation, of course.  In moderation. We wouldn't want to leave that out, would we? I'm pretty much supposed to make sure that everything else has the words 'whole grain' on them. There's also a lot of materials that describe how 'whole grain' stuff really is or isn't. Confused yet? And, also, the word 'fried' is banned. Now they are getting me steamed. It's not bad enough that they want you to eat a couple of blackberries and call that a snack, but, they also want you to eliminate all fried foods from your diet. That's like saying you can never come home to a boy raised on Southern cooking. Hey, let me be serious for a moment. I make it sound funny but we all know that eating healthy is something we all need to do. And, for those of us who do have special circumstances to account for, we need, I need, to be thankful that folks do spend the time to try and come up with recommendations that will assist. Finally, all I have to say about it is this: Have you actually looked at 1/4 of a cup lately? I think that's how they measure food for a fish tank. Until next time, may God bless and keep you and yours. Amen.        ....More later.

No comments: