Wednesday, December 21, 2011

What is a time-travelers favorite season? Christmas, of course. Because of all the present that is there.

Okay. I've heard about those who finished their shopping very early. I applaud their forethought. Other than that, their good planning has not seemed to slow the traffic at the mall. Not even a little bit. And, what about the 15% increase in on-line purchasing? That alone should show up, somewhere. Not in our area. After getting as close as I could, it took me 15 minutes last Saturday afternoon to get to the pick up point for my wife. That was about maybe 5 or 6 blocks. I stayed in front of Sears so long people began to think I was an ornament. That traffic melee was disastrous and not a police person in sight, not one of them was stirring, but the horns were a honking, and the road rage was raging, and it all happened right dab in the middle of the season of perpetual joy. That will do for now. I've caught my breath and it's time to move on to something less frustrating. It is good to have this time together, here on a Wednesday, this one happens to be on December 21, 2011. Some of my readers do live in remote or rural areas, therefore, this preoccupation with traffic delays must make them laugh, although they do occasionally have to be held up by some cows crossing the road. As I recall, even that type of delay will get on a person's nerves. Ever wonder why most of us are in such a hurry? But we are. "A woman darted into the dentist office along with her husband. She frantically blurted out, 'I'm in a hurry, I need a tooth pulled and I need it pulled quickly, no Novocaine, no nothing, just need it done quickly.' The dentist was very impressed with the courage of this lady but then she added, 'Okay honey, show him your tooth.'"

Here's a few more of web surfed Christmas memories served up for your reading pleasure: "Best: When my entire family was all together. Worst: When she said, "I want a divorce" (at Christmas)." ~ "My most memorable best was my first bike. I was about 8 and my older sister had a bike and wouldn't let me ride hers. When I woke up on Christmas morning and saw it at the end of my bed I could hardly breathe. It had no brakes so I had to learn to ride it pretty fast so I didn't fall off." ~ "My most memorable Christmas was about six years ago when my entire family and their children all gathered in the country town we were raised in ... took over half a motel and showed the children all the places we had told them stories about for so many years." ~ "Well, my most memorable Christmas was in July when I was like 8 ..so, 40 years ago. My dad was a roofer so we lived like kings in the summer and paupers in the winter (he didn't know how to save). Anyway, he had a very hard winter and couldn't even afford a tree that year so one day in the next July we came home and dad had the tree up and it was all decorated and there were presents galore under it for all 4 of us , I think that was the year we all got bikes and to this day it is one of the only Christmases I remember like it was yesterday ...he was a fantastic dad .. I love you dad and miss you every day ..." ~ "My most memorable Christmas was when I was about 4 or 5. Had the flu and was up all night sick & throwing up. I remember being super upset because I thought Santa wouldn't come because I wasn't asleep." ~

Admittedly, some of those are a little on the different side of life but I would imagine that others might think the same about some of our recollections. In doing these searches, I've seen some that were pretty sad. People remembering, seemingly with glee, a Christmas party where everyone was so drunk, no one even remembered being there. I'll pass on that one, if you please. I also read many who were recollecting the loss of a loved one who died during the Christmas season. That's always going to be a part of life that does leave its mark. However, in my walks down memory lane, I remember just about as many folks who have passed on to the other side as those who are still counted among the living. Sure, it brings a tear here and there, but thinking about those days when we were all together, enjoying the festivities, and the feasting, remembering the laughter and joy, well, I just happen to think those are blessed memories because God gave us the ability to capture and keep them. The even better news is that for so many of those we can no longer touch or hold, well, we will see them again because they are in heaven and that's where we are headed too. We sing about the great reunion day but I rather doubt we can even imagine what it will be like when we see our Savior and our loved ones over in the Gloryland. I wouldn't miss that for the world and I pray that we all will make being there the first priority of our lives. Okay. I've almost reminisced myself into a tizzy, therefore, I had better say goodbye for now and wish each one a blessed day. Amen.       ....More later.

No comments: