Friday, August 20, 2010

I am my own one liner joke factory!

Before we get to the regular stuff that occupies way more space than justified by the merit or validity of the writing, I wanted to share another photo from my 64th birthday victory lap. This is one of our gang who gathered up at Lake Conroe to enjoy a full day of feasting, fellowship, fishing, swimming, and feasting some more. What a day! Look at the folks in this photo. They reflect our heritage and we thank God for each one. Thanks again to everyone who went to so much trouble to make this a most special day for me.

************************************************************************************
Hello out there in blogger-world, it is Friday, August 20, 2010 and I'm going to try and keep it light today, if that's okay with you. That's not easy to do when we stop and smell the roses for even a few minutes in the difficult times we find ourselves in. But, it helps to keep your sense of humor or perhaps even to find one because we do need all the help we can get as we try to make sense out of our daily machinations. One of the best sources of funny stuff is very close to home. Yes. That means me and that means you. Some folks are so up tight they can never find anything funny about their own foibles. I have so much in my in-box that pertains to me, it's overflowing. Take for instance the other day when I parked in the garage at home. I almost never park in the garage because my side has left over stuff from our remodeling project. But my wife was at work and I eased my car into her slot. I could tell my old fliver, (coined to designate a cheaper model car, thought to have originated with the 1910 Model T Ford), did not know how to act being inside and all, but it was really hot and I thought it might do it some good to see how the other half lives. After a couple of hours I came out of the house into the garage and walked to the door and couldn't find my car. What had happened to it? It's always parked in the same spot. Someone must have taken it. Panic. Then, an overcoming sense of 'you have to be kidding'. Yeah. You guessed it. I was nearly leaning on it when all of this took place. Maybe that's why they voted me most likely to be the first to suffer from mental issues, but in reality I fooled them because I don't suffer from it, I actually enjoy it, especially when it gives me something to smile about. (Just joking. They didn't vote me that distinction. It was actually the cutest and the wittiest. Go figure!)

Dealing with people everyday gives insight into a variety of personalities. Some folks want it to be strictly business and nothing more, period, end of story. Fortunately, that's a small minority because I have some good fun with many of our customers, vendors, and of course, the folks I work with as well. I am often the fall guy and the butt of many of the jokes but I am always aware that it is not offensive, it is all just finding something to smile about. The guys here use me as their way of joking about management or in drawing distinctions between those down in the trenches versus those who mostly operate a chair at their desk. The kidding never interferes with getting the job done and I can assure you, we have a large number of very hard working folks on board here. I am a pointer. It's one of the ways I communicate. I do it almost unconsciously. The workers here have picked up on this trait and they love to engage me in a pointing match as I walk through our shop. I remember when I did the consulting project in Chicago a few years ago that one fellow took exception to my pointing. I was prone to walk up and greet someone with both hands and fingers pointed towards them. One day this manager asked me to please not do that because it appeared to be something akin to a hold up. He asked me if everyone from Texas went around sticking their fingers out like that. Now, how funny is that? See what I mean? Some folks take it and run with it, and like the fellows here, they turn it into a fun thing. While others, like the Chicago guy, read something entirely different into it, and miss out on an opportunity to smile.

Hey, you can even find some comedy on the local news broadcasts. I hear more and more people saying they never watch the news because it's just too depressing. What about the weather people? I told you about last Monday being so hot. Well, the local weather folks had been really down and out because we had not officially broken the century mark thus far. It had been well over 100 in several areas around but the only one that counts is the official weather station out at the big airport. Well, they got their wish last Monday and they were so happy, I thought cheerleaders might be soon coming out with their pom poms. While they were sighing great sighs of relief that we had finally hit that magic number, they missed entirely the huge thunderstorm that happened Monday afternoon late. I know some of you think I am too hard on the weather people and I might be, but they do offer an opportunity to smile as they tell you what happened last evening today but failed to mention it in their forecast yesterday. That to me tells us that they really don't know everything, and perhaps being too focused on breaking 100 might have distracted them from their radar screens. Anyway, find humor wherever and whenever you can. And, better yet, as a believer in the Lord Jesus Christ, allow Him to be the source of your joy each day. Joy is not always laughter but what a great combination whenever you can exercise them both on the same day! Now that my friend is a blessing! Have a great Saturday and Lord's Day Sunday, and Lord willing I will get back to you on Monday with that other thing, whatever it turns out to be. May God bless. Amen. .......More later.

No comments: