Monday, August 3, 2009

Doing the rain slide shuffle.

I left my office a little early last Friday to get some things done. We had enjoyed some really terrific rain showers and I had a number of errands to get accomplished. I first rushed over to have my car serviced for the planned trip back to Louisiana on Saturday. The place we go to is a car wash, oil change combination but the car wash was shut down. It is usually a busy place with folks hustling around like ants but with the rain, the car wash portion was closed. I left there and went to a store to get a gift card for dad to honor him on his birthday Saturday. This mega store was busy in spite of the rain but folks were out near the entrance ways trying to mop up water and slow folks down. We did need the rain and oh how thankful we are for it! But it was a little on the amusing side to watch folks slipping and sliding around as they did their version of the rain slide shuffle coming into the store. Once home I continued my heads down dash to get a card built for dad and to get my Sunday Bible lesson handout completed. My wife came in from work and joined me upstairs as I completed my tasks. She wants me to someday teach her how to use all the utilities needed to do greeting cards and photographs BUT neither of us have enough medication on hand to get us through that task. These are the odds and ends I am rehearsing with you today on this Monday, August 3, 2009.

I left at 5:30 a.m. Saturday and made my way towards our home place. Because of the showers the previous day we had one of those socked in fog mornings but because of it being early the traffic was fairly light and it went pretty well. When I turned off onto a highway that cuts up through east Texas the fog was even worse. I called my wife to wake her up for her work day and told her that I was a part of a long procession but our leader was either an elderly gentleman or a lady like herself trying to drive responsibly in the very dangerous foggy conditions. The nerve of her! She was even putting on her brakes going up a hill. No visibility, therefore, I had to wait until we hit a place where the lanes divided to get around. Free at last! Finally I could set my cruise on 70 and zoom down the highway with 10 percent visibility! Now that's the way to travel! I made 180 miles in three hours flat, without incident, as far as I could tell since I couldn't see much anyway.

Made it over to mom and dad's and had the most wonderful day with them. God has so blessed us with giving us the parents we have and anytime I can do even the least to show my appreciation and honor towards them I desire to do so. We mostly just visited and enjoyed a good breakfast and later I took them and my sister to lunch in a nearby town. Their yard was full of birds feasting on the bags of seed they pour out. There were all varieties present and I also got to see the famous turtle who had showed up for his daily piece of apple. We laughed and talked and shared memories and talked and talked some more. It was one of those days that I feel privileged to have been a part of. Dad made me some coffee to help guide me home and I left there at 4:30 p.m. and was fortunate to be back to my home base by 8 p.m. It had been a long day but one that will always be special because of having spent it with these special people in my life. May God continue to bless mom and dad and may He be with us all as we pursue our lives in this busy world. Amen. .....More later.

No comments: