Tuesday, October 16, 2007

The Man In The Mirror

I have commented before about how my earliest memories of much that happened before the death of my dad in January 1954 are very difficult to pinpoint and grasp. Some might think this to be somewhat obsessive but I am not ashamed to admit there is a part of me that wants to know my dad better. The photo is of our entire family made in the summer of 1953 as we prepared to ride by train from Port Arthur, Texas, to Georgia to visit family. Based on his and my testimony of faith in Jesus, The Christ, and our confidence in God’s promises, I know I will see him one day when we all get to heaven.

It’s always hard to know whether a thought or picture from your mind is one that has been handed down to you or it’s one you actually remember. The photo is of my dad's mom, our grandmother from Georgia. She died a number of years ago. I describe my recollections as being mostly flashes of bits and pieces. My brother who is nearly two years younger has much more clarity in some of his recollections. This sounds consistent with the fact that each child handles traumatic situations in their own way.


Our dad worked for a railroad company and he carried us with him at times down to his workplace. I remember the actual going to the depot office where he worked and vaguely the fact that many of the people there seemed glad to meet us. The photo is of my dad with my older brother in the front with two of our cousins in Georgia, with me standing in the back. My younger brother can remember much more of the details about us going to work with dad. I remember my older brother and I going with dad to visit his mother and his twin brother in Georgia. We travelled by car and I recall us having to take turns sleeping on the floor in the back and how the transmission hump made it uncomfortable and hot.

I remember dad making the older kids let me sleep out in a tent behind our apartment and how mad they were that I was allowed to be out there with them. The tents were nothing more than bedspreads mounted on poles but it was camping out. They had cokes and stuff to eat and while I wasn’t wanted they soon accepted the fact that I was going to be with them so they made the best of it. We didn’t have a television but my mom had a friend who did have one. On occasion we would all load up and go to their house and watch this remarkable new sensation. I have some fading glimpses of programs but cannot be sure when I saw them, then or later. The photo is of mom and dad with my older brother and sister, made in the early 1940's.

My dad was a doodler. I am a doodler. He wanted me to learn to draw. They bought me a beginner art set for Christmas and gave it to me from Santa eight days before he passed away. This is another fleeting memory but one I believe to be accurate. I remember some things that happened in school. I remember the day a bigger boy twisted and broke my arm. I was in the third grade. It happened at first recess and I went all day long without telling anyone. Perhaps even then I was a very private person. When my mom saw me she was very upset. I was pale and running a temperature. After getting my arm in a cast she and I paid a visit to the home of the boy who broke my arm. My mother gave his mother a genuine tongue lashing. I can’t tell you exactly what she said but I remember she was very agitated. Moms are like that when you mess with their kids.

I believe I could draw a floor plan of the apartment we were living in and get it pretty much right. My older sister remembers mom and dad arguing quite often but I don’t. Of course a young couple with six children and struggling to make it day by day would no doubt have plenty to argue about. I guess I am blessed not to have those memories. The photo is of mom and dad made the summer of 1953, six months before his death. I do remember seeing my dad sitting at the table in the kitchen listening to the baseball game on the radio. He would get so stirred up and very upset when his team didn’t do well. I can remember my mom standing there and shaking her head at him being so agitated over a ball game. Can you imagine that?

Yesterday I wrote about how foolish I felt in coming unhinged while watching a replay of a car race that I already knew the outcome and pretty much all the details. After my wife read that blog she sent me an email where she said she wasn’t the least bit surprised because she had seen stuff just like that happen over and over again for so many years. She no doubt has also stood there shaking her head at me being so agitated over a sporting event.

Maybe my search to know my dad better is closer than I might think. It could be as close as the nearest mirror. …More later.

No comments: