Friday, June 15, 2007

Paw Paw Mac Warned Me About Messing In Other People's Business

So many people talk about being in the right place at the right time but what about being in the wrong place at the wrong time? My granddad always warned me about messing in other people’s business but we all seem destined to learn lessons the hard way.

I remember when I was a freshman in high school that nothing was more exciting than a schoolyard fight. One day we had a pretty good one between two tough guys and it quickly drew a crowd of spectators. It didn’t last long because the shop teacher who was monitor that day stepped in and separated the two combatants. I was right on top of what was happening with a ringside seat, so to speak.

The teacher grabbed the two guys and I can’t remember whether he took me along as a witness or I went with them to the principal’s office just to see them get it. As I recall I was really looking forward to seeing these boys get the board of education applied to their seat of knowledge. While I had never seen it firsthand, our principal had a reputation for having a temper and using a big paddle. His name was William but he was known as ‘wild Bill’ when it came to doling out beatings. I know it’s called corporal punishment but we had a different way of talking about it.

The two boys were sitting in chairs and I was leaning against the wall just outside the principal’s office. The shop teacher and secretary had gone in and we were left to ponder just how bad things were going to be whenever justice arrived. Of course I was smiling on the inside but didn’t want to rub it in on the two ruffians. In fact, to be perfectly honest, I could hardly wait for the coming attraction.

Time seemed to come to a standstill. All the air was gone from that foyer. The smell of pain was in the air. I thought I detected a pale look on the face of the two would be pugilists. I sure was glad it was them and not me! About that time the door flew open and ‘wild Bill’ came out with a huge board in his hand and grabbed the first thing he could get his hands on which happened to be me! In the twinkling of an eye it was wham, wham, wham, bam, bam, bam! I was too old to cry but not too dazed to know that all the breath had suddenly left my body. But I was an innocent bystander. But I was only a witness. But I was not involved. Regardless, I now had up close and personal knowledge of how this man had gained his reputation.

What happened after that is mostly a blur. If they got what was coming to them, and I’m sure they did, I have no recollection of it. However, even as I write this blurb some 48 years later I can almost feel the pain as it engulfed by whole being. Okay, I’m glad this is not how it works today. But, I did learn a valuable lesson. Today there would be a lawsuit, back then there were only lessons to learn.

Yes, I should have paid more attention to what my granddad told me. He was very wise and he was a gift from God into my life. Therefore I am proud to be reminded of my Paw Paw Mac on this upcoming Father’s Day weekend. May God bless his memory and his testimony. May it be that when I leave this life for the next, perhaps one of my children or grandchildren will be able to remember me in this same way. More later…………

No comments: